cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Read the blog entry on Chambers. It actually sounds promising. He's making a visit this weekend and bringing parents and apparently he's going to retake ACT. If he's already in at Purdue with scores but not at BYU and wants to retake test, it implies to me he might be favoring BYU. Although something sounds fishy about relative admission standards for athletes Purdue vs BYU.
I guess that's my punishment for not reading the blog. Good to hear.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I'm going to say it's about 3.75 or 3.8 these days. Don't quote me on that.
That's about right, I think, depending on your test scores.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Read the blog entry on Chambers. It actually sounds promising. He's making a visit this weekend and bringing parents and apparently he's going to retake ACT. If he's already in at Purdue with scores but not at BYU and wants to retake test, it implies to me he might be favoring BYU. Although something sounds fishy about relative admission standards for athletes Purdue vs BYU.
I have a tough time believing BYU has stricter standards than Purdue. Purdue is a fine school.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I always like your posts 71. I just think the story was lame because you tried to trick us by implying BYU discriminated against a hottie because she was a SD Charger cheerleader with a moral code that might have gone against the BYU grain a little. When actually she just didn't have the grades.

Jay, I get accused of a lot, but what I was trying to imply is this was a very well rounded in her life girl. I was trying to applaud her for becoming an active member of the church.

The SD cheerleader reference was to indicate that some people posting on CB have their heads up their butts when it comes to judging people. Just a side comment, not swipe at BYU's moral stds, but certainly not the emphasis in a conspirial plot in my post.

I thought I was making the point that a great kid didn't get into BYU because of grades. She never had a problem with the honor code and would have signed it gladly. Her grades were a bit short. She didn't get in and still looks to be able to have a great life.

Bottom line is that dropping the GPA a couple of tenths doesn't mean that the kids then available are not the cream of the crop.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I'm going to say it's about 3.75 or 3.8 these days. Don't quote me on that.
To me that sounds a little beyond excellent. However, with as lousy and easy our public school systems are now, maybe 3.5 isn't so hot.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Couldn't you spill ink on the scantron and get a 17?
Apparently not. I tell you, when that last score came in at 16, it was crushing. She knew it was her last chance. And to come that close every time, but not get over the hump was painful. Such is life, I guess.

It's not an unreasonable standard. If someone can't score 17, it is pretty unlikely that they would make it through to a degree.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #27
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Jay, I get accused of a lot, but what I was trying to imply is this was a very well rounded in her life girl. I was trying to applaud her for becoming an active member of the church.

The SD cheerleader reference was to indicate that some people posting on CB have their heads up their butts when it comes to judging people. Just a side comment, not swipe at BYU's moral stds, but certainly not the emphasis in a conspirial plot in my post.

I thought I was making the point that a great kid didn't get into BYU because of grades. She never had a problem with the honor code and would have signed it gladly. Her grades were a bit short. She didn't get in and still looks to be able to have a great life.

Bottom line is that dropping the GPA a couple of tenths doesn't mean that the kids then available are not the cream of the crop.
It's a good question and I'm sure the brethren review it every now and then. But what's more unfair? Excluding a 3.5 GPA kid because they weren't quite as good as the rest of the student body or exclude a 4.0 kid who's worked his butt off to get into BYU because he lost in the lottery?

Put it another way, would you like Bronco to lower his standards and offer scholarships based on a lottery? There are probably some great athletes that just weren't quite good enough to make it at BYU football.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
jay santos

Quote:
To me that sounds a little beyond excellent. However, with as lousy and easy our public school systems are now, maybe 3.5 isn't so hot.
When I was at the junior high the other day, I looked at the Honor Roll list. All my deacons were on it. Trust me not all these kids are scholars. I went looking for kids just to see if they weren't on it. I couldn't find anyone I knew that wasn't on the list. Talk about grade inflation.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #29
BYU71

Quote:
It's a good question and I'm sure the brethren review it every now and then. But what's more unfair? Excluding a 3.5 GPA kid because they weren't quite as good as the rest of the student body or exclude a 4.0 kid who's worked his butt off to get into BYU because he lost in the lottery?

Put it another way, would you like Bronco to lower his standards and offer scholarships based on a lottery? There are probably some great athletes that just weren't quite good enough to make it at BYU football.
If the 4.0 students can prove he brings more value to the school than does say the athlete or the 3.5 student, then yes that would be unfair.

Whether you like it or not, an athlete brings more value to the school than a 4.0 student. I am also sure even a lottery set up system will allow all the 4 pts to get in.

If the 4.0 student is really that good, why aren't they off to Stanford, Yale or a school like that. The 4.0 equivalent athlete goes to a higher level school to play football, otherwise all the top quality LDS athletes would be at BYU, wouldnt' they.

I can see the value in that it is an easy way to screen. Maybe that is the best way for them to do it. Don't tell me though there aren't some downsides to such a system.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #30
jay santos

Quote:
If the 4.0 students can prove he brings more value to the school than does say the athlete or the 3.5 student, then yes that would be unfair.

Whether you like it or not, an athlete brings more value to the school than a 4.0 student. I am also sure even a lottery set up system will allow all the 4 pts to get in.

If the 4.0 student is really that good, why aren't they off to Stanford, Yale or a school like that. The 4.0 equivalent athlete goes to a higher level school to play football, otherwise all the top quality LDS athletes would be at BYU, wouldnt' they.

I can see the value in that it is an easy way to screen. Maybe that is the best way for them to do it. Don't tell me though there aren't some downsides to such a system.
I agree there are downsides. Like I said it's probably a tough call for the brethren.

To your example though, one 4.0 student isn't going to matter as much as a 4.0 equivalent athlete. But cumulatively 30,000 of them definitely would. Cumulatively even moving the avg GPA from 3.7 to 3.6 might have a quantitative effect that's in the millions of $.