cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Here's why I think BYU has no other minimum standard for athletes beyond NCAA minimum:

--to my knowledge we've never lost a recruit to another D1 school due to failure to reach academic standard
--we have lost several recruits that have not qualified for NCAA minimum: Otero in BB most recently, Soi in FB, couple that went to JC last year, Walt Williams, etc. I've never once heard it explained that these recruits qualified for NCAA and not BYU but simply that they were unable to qualify for NCAA.

Has something changed or is Chambers mistaken?
I think Jay is right. Trust me, some of our poly players are no brain trust. They are not getting over the low bar, much less the high bar.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's a university. Is there a different criteria that should be used beyond grades and ACT? Maybe size of rack? This is kind of a lame story. Lots of kids get denied admission to BYU based on grades that went elsewhere and did just fine.

What's lame about it Jay. Good kid couldn't get into BYU and her life has turned out great.

Maybe the school could lower the grade admission requirement somewhat and do a lottery. Still a lot of good kids could get left out.

I appreciate your comments though as always Jay because I hold you in such high regard as a monitor of what makes a good post and what doesn't.

I still don't understand why you never become a CB monitor.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
http://blogs.sltrib.com/recruiting/

I've never heard of BYU's admission standards for athletes being any higher than NCAA minimum standards. How could Chambers qualify for Purdue but not BYU?
Does this mean Paul and Chambers are definitely not coming to BYU?

If so, it's entirely possible I'm living in the equivalent of a cave, but this is the first I've heard that they are not coming.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

For the church to encourage excellence in academics, they can't then go and make BYU admission be a lottery.

Good grades or just ok grades, same chance. Parents aren't going to be their kids to study when this is the case.

Increase the enrollment. Make it a real university. Lots of things they can do besides going to a lottery.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

If so, it's entirely possible I'm living in the equivalent of a cave, but this is the first I've heard that they are not coming.
the blog writer thinks that there is a decent chance Chambers is coming.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
smokymountainrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the blog writer thinks that there is a decent chance Chambers is coming.
So, apparently "coming up a little short of BYU's standards" doesn't prevent a kid from playing football at BYU. I'm glad I misunderstood the meaning of that as Chambers sounds like a player.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For the church to encourage excellence in academics, they can't then go and make BYU admission be a lottery.

Good grades or just ok grades, same chance. Parents aren't going to be their kids to study when this is the case.

Increase the enrollment. Make it a real university. Lots of things they can do besides going to a lottery.
Maybe I don't know what the GPA is that it takes to get in. To me a 3.5 or better is excellent. Is that the requirement. I had heard it was higher.

What you would get with a somewhat lowered GPA requirement is a little more diversified student body.

I can think of many folks out here in the real world who are BYU grads and supporters who wouldn't have been able to get in. I know a couple of BYU alumni who now send money to the U because their kids couldn't get in. I don't know what their GPA's were, but my guess is they weren't that bad, probably very good. At least a lottery wouldn't piss a parent off if the kid didn't luck out.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
What's lame about it Jay. Good kid couldn't get into BYU and her life has turned out great.

Maybe the school could lower the grade admission requirement somewhat and do a lottery. Still a lot of good kids could get left out.

I appreciate your comments though as always Jay because I hold you in such high regard as a monitor of what makes a good post and what doesn't.

I still don't understand why you never become a CB monitor.
I always like your posts 71. I just think the story was lame because you tried to trick us by implying BYU discriminated against a hottie because she was a SD Charger cheerleader with a moral code that might have gone against the BYU grain a little. When actually she just didn't have the grades.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #19
smokymountainrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Maybe I don't know what the GPA is that it takes to get in. To me a 3.5 or better is excellent. Is that the requirement. I had heard it was higher.
I'm going to say it's about 3.75 or 3.8 these days. Don't quote me on that.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

Read the blog entry on Chambers. It actually sounds promising. He's making a visit this weekend and bringing parents and apparently he's going to retake ACT. If he's already in at Purdue with scores but not at BYU and wants to retake test, it implies to me he might be favoring BYU. Although something sounds fishy about relative admission standards for athletes Purdue vs BYU.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote