cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Admission standards? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15784)

jay santos 01-10-2008 09:40 PM

Admission standards?

http://blogs.sltrib.com/recruiting/

Quote:

Chambers said both he and his friend and teammate, Kedron Paul, "came up a little short for BYU's standards" on a college admission test they took last month. I'm not sure whether it was the SAT or ACT, but the scary news for BYU fans, if Chambers' estimation is correct, is that they both scored high enough to be admitted into Purdue.
I've never heard of BYU's admission standards for athletes being any higher than NCAA minimum standards. How could Chambers qualify for Purdue but not BYU?

BYU71 01-10-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 173186)
http://blogs.sltrib.com/recruiting/

I've never heard of BYU's admission standards for athletes being any higher than NCAA minimum standards. How could Chambers qualify for Purdue but not BYU?

Because there is such a huge demand to get into BYU. Therefor BYU jacks up the standards as a screening tool.

Unintended consequences seems to be a population of social misfits. :)

jay santos 01-10-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 173188)
Because there is such a huge demand to get into BYU. Therefor BYU jacks up the standards as a screening tool.

Unintended consequences seems to be a population of social misfits. :)

That's the general student body. Football admissions as always been minimum NCAA standard. At least that was my understanding.

MikeWaters 01-10-2008 10:15 PM

Given that a number of non-member athletes have joined the church, can't we all agree that recruiting non-members should be more of a priority? BYU71, can I get a second?

Jeff Lebowski 01-10-2008 10:26 PM

From what I understand, a potential student has to have an ACT score of 17 or higher in order to be admitted to BYU on scholarship.

There is a young lady in our neighborhood who was offered a full-ride scholarship to be on the BYU dance team. BYU has the #1 dance team in the country so this was a big deal for her. But she had to get 17 on the ACT to get the scholarship. They hired a tutor and she took the ACT 5-6 times and got 16 each time. It was sad because she is a fine young woman and this was a dream for her. She attends UVSC now.

BYU71 01-10-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173205)
Given that a number of non-member athletes have joined the church, can't we all agree that recruiting non-members should be more of a priority? BYU71, can I get a second?

2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Also a few more of them, non-members, out there after going to BYU telling people BYU isn't the base for wacko cult worshippers isn't a bad idea either.

MikeWaters 01-10-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 173208)
From what I understand, a potential student has to have an ACT score of 17 or higher in order to be admitted to BYU on scholarship.

There is a young lady in our neighborhood who was offered a full-ride scholarship to be on the BYU dance team. BYU has the #1 dance team in the country so this was a big deal for her. But she had to get 17 on the ACT to get the scholarship. They hired a tutor and she took the ACT 5-6 times and got 16 each time. It was sad because she is a fine young woman and this was a dream for her. She attends UVSC now.

Couldn't you spill ink on the scantron and get a 17?

How hard is it? (I never took the ACT. I exuded so much brilliance, BYU said 'you don't want to take it? no problem!')

BYU71 01-10-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 173208)

They lose some very good kids. My frat brother is not a member and lives in San Diego. His wife is LDS but inactive. Their son never joined. Somehow though the daughter grew up and joined and was active in the church.

She couldn't get into BYU, GPA. She was about .15 to low. She ended up at SDSU. She was a cheerleader and graduated in communications. She was an extra in a couple of movies.

She then became a Chargers cheerleader and was doing well in a career. Of course I mentioned this on CB and got the, "she ought to read the churches message to youth" comments.

Anyway, met a great young man, RM and married in the Temple. Just had their first child. Standards at BYU let some remarkable kids go elsewhere. Apparently in her case though it didn't hurt her.

jay santos 01-10-2008 10:32 PM

Here's why I think BYU has no other minimum standard for athletes beyond NCAA minimum:

--to my knowledge we've never lost a recruit to another D1 school due to failure to reach academic standard
--we have lost several recruits that have not qualified for NCAA minimum: Otero in BB most recently, Soi in FB, couple that went to JC last year, Walt Williams, etc. I've never once heard it explained that these recruits qualified for NCAA and not BYU but simply that they were unable to qualify for NCAA.

Has something changed or is Chambers mistaken?

jay santos 01-10-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 173214)
They lose some very good kids. My frat brother is not a member and lives in San Diego. His wife is LDS but inactive. Their son never joined. Somehow though the daughter grew up and joined and was active in the church.

She couldn't get into BYU, GPA. She was about .15 to low. She ended up at SDSU. She was a cheerleader and graduated in communications. She was an extra in a couple of movies.

She then became a Chargers cheerleader and was doing well in a career. Of course I mentioned this on CB and got the, "she ought to read the churches message to youth" comments.

Anyway, met a great young man, RM and married in the Temple. Just had their first child. Standards at BYU let some remarkable kids go elsewhere. Apparently in her case though it didn't hurt her.

It's a university. Is there a different criteria that should be used beyond grades and ACT? Maybe size of rack? This is kind of a lame story. Lots of kids get denied admission to BYU based on grades that went elsewhere and did just fine.