cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #11
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Thought I would ask again since we've had some new members since join.

I'm a migraine sufferer. Sometimes they come in waves and I get several in a month or sometimes I can go several weeks without having one.

Lately they've become what I'd term "more chronic". I've been to every kind of ologist I can think of (insert proctologist joke here), and am unable to receive any kind of relief.

It gets really bad to the point of incapacitating me to the lazy boy, cold pack on and unable to move for 12-24 hours at a time. Sometimes it gets so bad I'll literally just writhe with pain. Laying down for some reason makes the pain intensify.

Short of a new head, anyone have any new ideas I can try, seems like I've tried just about everything and am doomed to live with it the rest of my life. I've 2 older brothers and 1 older sister who also have this problem.
I read on a site that sells supplements that magnesium and CoQ10 have been shown to help reduce number and severity of migraines in some patients. Of course they're trying to sell something, but they cited one published double-blind trial. My wife gets them occasionally, so I ordered some of that stuff for her, but she doesn't really take them regularly because the migraines are so rare. She thinks of it when one is setting in, which is too late, I believe. In the past she used Excederin, but recently she found that ibuprofen worked better.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #12
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Rocky, what medications (if any) have you tried already?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Rocky, what medications (if any) have you tried already?
Imitrex
Midrin
Relpax
Many others I can't quite recall right now.

Even tried blood thinner as it worked for 2 of my sisters, but it didn't even phase me.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 AM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Thought I would ask again since we've had some new members since join.

I'm a migraine sufferer. Sometimes they come in waves and I get several in a month or sometimes I can go several weeks without having one.

Lately they've become what I'd term "more chronic". I've been to every kind of ologist I can think of (insert proctologist joke here), and am unable to receive any kind of relief.

It gets really bad to the point of incapacitating me to the lazy boy, cold pack on and unable to move for 12-24 hours at a time. Sometimes it gets so bad I'll literally just writhe with pain. Laying down for some reason makes the pain intensify.

Short of a new head, anyone have any new ideas I can try, seems like I've tried just about everything and am doomed to live with it the rest of my life. I've 2 older brothers and 1 older sister who also have this problem.
I'm not sure I'm convinced it would work for everyone, but I know two people well who suffer from the same problem. One fixed it by going to the chiropracter. The other got acupuncture and hasn't had a migraine since.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

As a PT, my next question would be whether you have had your upper cervical spine evaluated by someone who knows what they are doing - PT, chiro, etc.

Any TMJ dysfunction? Jaw pain can often lead to headache disorders.

I didn't see any muscle relaxers on your med list. Have you already tried these as well.

If none of these work, maybe you had better go back to repentance angle that AA mentioned earlier.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #16
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I'm not sure I'm convinced it would work for everyone, but I know two people well who suffer from the same problem. One fixed it by going to the chiropracter. The other got acupuncture and hasn't had a migraine since.
Done the Chiro thing and am not a big fan. It creates too much of a dependence and many chiro's for lack of a better term just aren't very good at it. One ended hurting my neck so bad after an adjustment I couldn't turn to the other side for a good 1 or 2.

I've actually never tried acupuncture, but am certainly open to the idea.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #17
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
As a PT, my next question would be whether you have had your upper cervical spine evaluated by someone who knows what they are doing - PT, chiro, etc.

Any TMJ dysfunction? Jaw pain can often lead to headache disorders.

I didn't see any muscle relaxers on your med list. Have you already tried these as well.

If none of these work, maybe you had better go back to repentance angle that AA mentioned earlier.
I have some leftover muscle relaxers from my car accident over a year ago, hardly used any of them.