cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #11
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My mullah mom cooks freely with alcohol, particularly sake and mirin.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I'm not opposed to dishes that are cooked in alcohol - I love Chicken Marsala. We have rice wine vinegar and red wine vingar and stuff you can buy at the grocery store in our pantry. The problem is that you can't buy wine in the grocery store in Utah and the odds of me scoring with Jessica Alba are better than the odds that Mrs. Meanie will ever go into a liquor store.

Thus, the only time I get to eat wine/alcohol dishes is when we eat out.
You can in Virginia, but when I make Marsala I just go to the ABC. My wife also makes a pasta sauce with white wine in it. We also go to ABC for that. Cheap wine makes lousy tasting pasta sauce. I haven't ever done a beer marinade but I have some recipes I will probably try when it is back to BBQ weather.

I truly think this is no big deal.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
You can in Virginia, but when I make Marsala I just go to the ABC. My wife also makes a pasta sauce with white wine in it. We also go to ABC for that. Cheap wine makes lousy tasting pasta sauce. I haven't ever done a beer marinade but I have some recipes I will probably try when it is back to BBQ weather.

I truly think this is no big deal.
Back to BBQ weather?

Any time is the right time to BBQ.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 AM   #14
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
We had some friends visit for Thanksgiving. While they were here, they were perusing a family cookbook. One recipe caught their attention and then, to their dismay, they saw that it called for cooking wine. Under their interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, even cooking with wine is prohibited. Does anyone else believe this?

I have a real mullah for a mom, but even she would occasionally cook with wine. We often had coffee flavored ice cream at our house, in fact jamocha almond fudge from Baskin Robbins is her favorite. These kinds of things I never thought twice about. So to WOW followers, do you cook with wine? Eat coffee-flavored candy or ice cream? What do you think?

Postscript: I brought beer chili to a ward chili cook-off once. Does that make me really evil?
What about coffee-containing ice cream? To me it's about the substance and not how it's served. Granted, this is just my interpretation. If it's just the flavor that's one thing, but coffee ice cream usually does have coffee as an ingredient. In HS I worked at an ice cream parlor and saw them make it on site. I have no problem with food cooked with alcohol though.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This is not a difficult issue. Cooking with alcohol is okay because the alcohol changes chemically (I'm not sure how; some say it boils off) and can't get you drunk. No one ever got drunk off of coque vin.

But coffee ice cream is most emphtically not okay. Coffee ice cream is flavored with unadulterated coffee.

You'd better self-report to your bishop.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 AM   #16
Mrs. Meanie

Mrs. Meanie is on a distinguished road

I hate the taste of coffee so I would never eat anything flavored with it. Mr. Meanie was right when he said that I would never set foot in a liquor store, but I wouldn't mind cooking with alcohol if someone else bought it.

Daphne Du Maurier
Mrs. Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 AM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the whole purpose of the WOW is to avoid mind-altering substances and things like acidic coffees that are bad for your body. That way you will remain in control at all times, not become dependent, and be healthy.

Cooking with alcohol adds flavor, but the actual harmful substance cooks out. Eating the dish doesn't warp your mind.

A bigger concern for the dinner guests, health-wise, should be how many servings of dessert do they add to their fat storage.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

We cook with wine all the time, makes things taste so much better. A little benefit of having lived in France.

When my third child was baptized my wife paid a woman to bake some cakes for the the little social afterward. The things were loaded with liqueur. We all ate them anyway, even the kids.

I don't sweat these things.

But I still want to be considered a Mullah.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
My mullah mom cooks freely with alcohol, particularly sake and mirin.
There's two more we use.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
We cook with wine all the time, makes things taste so much better. A little benefit of having lived in France.

When my third child was baptized my wife paid a woman to bake some cakes for the the little social afterward. The things were loaded with liqueur. We all ate them anyway, even the kids.

I don't sweat these things.

But I still want to be considered a Mullah.
If you'd like, I'll consider you a mullah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote