cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road
Default alcohol in cooking

We had some friends visit for Thanksgiving. While they were here, they were perusing a family cookbook. One recipe caught their attention and then, to their dismay, they saw that it called for cooking wine. Under their interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, even cooking with wine is prohibited. Does anyone else believe this?

I have a real mullah for a mom, but even she would occasionally cook with wine. We often had coffee flavored ice cream at our house, in fact jamocha almond fudge from Baskin Robbins is her favorite. These kinds of things I never thought twice about. So to WOW followers, do you cook with wine? Eat coffee-flavored candy or ice cream? What do you think?

Postscript: I brought beer chili to a ward chili cook-off once. Does that make me really evil?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
We had some friends visit for Thanksgiving. While they were here, they were perusing a family cookbook. One recipe caught their attention and then, to their dismay, they saw that it called for cooking wine. Under their interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, even cooking with wine is prohibited. Does anyone else believe this?

I have a real mullah for a mom, but even she would occasionally cook with wine. We often had coffee flavored ice cream at our house, in fact jamocha almond fudge from Baskin Robbins is her favorite. These kinds of things I never thought twice about. So to WOW followers, do you cook with wine? Eat coffee-flavored candy or ice cream? What do you think?

Postscript: I brought beer chili to a ward chili cook-off once. Does that make me really evil?
Steve Perry taught us all we need to know on this topic when he sang:

Oh, Sherry! Our love, holds on! Holds on!

But you know that there's a fever
Oh that you'll never find nowhere else
Cant you feel it burning on and on

Oh, Sherry! Our love, holds on! Holds on!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing wrong with cooking wine at all. And if you are into cooking ribs, if you marinate them in beer for a few hours before cooking, they'll be really tender and the meat will just slide off the bone.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Nothing wrong with cooking wine at all. And if you are into cooking ribs, if you marinate them in beer for a few hours before cooking, they'll be really tender and the meat will just slide off the bone.
Just in beer or do you have a recipe you would like to share?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
dont forget par boiling brats in beer. yum!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Just in beer or do you have a recipe you would like to share?
I use this recipe:

48 oz. boneless country style pork ribs (12 oz. per person)

3 oz. hickory smoke flavoring

6 oz. beer

BBQ Sauce

8 cups BBQ sauce

8 cups honey dijon dressing

1 cup beer

Layer ribs into pan, fill with water to one inch above ribs. Add hickory flavoring and beer. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cook 25 to 35 minutes until ribs are fully cooked.

While ribs are simmering, mix together BBQ sauce ingredients.

Drain water off the ribs, then place ribs in foil lined baking pan.

Fully cover ribs with BBQ sauce. Cover pan with foil and bake in 275-degree oven for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours to produce slow cooked and tender ribs.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

alcohol binds pretty tightly to water, so that's why even near-beer has some modest amount of alcohol in it. While most of the alcohol will evaporate when cooked or heated, not all of it does. Whether this is a trivial thing or an important thing is in the eye of the beholder.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I'm not opposed to dishes that are cooked in alcohol - I love Chicken Marsala. We have rice wine vinegar and red wine vingar and stuff you can buy at the grocery store in our pantry. The problem is that you can't buy wine in the grocery store in Utah and the odds of me scoring with Jessica Alba are better than the odds that Mrs. Meanie will ever go into a liquor store.

Thus, the only time I get to eat wine/alcohol dishes is when we eat out.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
alcohol binds pretty tightly to water, so that's why even near-beer has some modest amount of alcohol in it. While most of the alcohol will evaporate when cooked or heated, not all of it does. Whether this is a trivial thing or an important thing is in the eye of the beholder.
I'm not sure, but I believe that for every 10% of tithing we pay, we are allowed about 1% of alcohol remaining after cooking.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM   #10
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I couple of months ago I took the tour of the Coors Brewery. They ask you before you go in if you are going to sample and if so they verify your age and give you a wristband that is punched when you get your samples. Being the good Mormon boy that I am, I said "no" and thus didn't get a wristbad.

During they tour they really talk up the quality of their barley, the way they malt it, the cystal clear purity of their water that gives Coors a smooth refreshing taste, etc. By the end they had glamorized the beer so much that I was ready to imbibe. Good thing I didn't have a wristband.

If the church ever allows beer back in (it appears to me to be allowed in the WOW but I suppose modern day prophets override that provision of the use of grains) then I certainly wouldn't complain.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote