cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Headed out on a road trip

So we decided against our mammoth road trip to the Northwest this year but we're taking off tomorrow for a shorter one. Decided to do the NM, SW Colorado route. Going to head for Callsbad, NM tomorrow, see the caverns on Saturday, then head northwesterly through NM on our way up to Durango, Mesa Verde, etc. Any "must sees" in NW that I might not be aware of? Is there anything worth seeing in Los Alamos? What about Rosewell? Santa Fe would make a logical stop as well.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove from Utah to Roswell. Part of the stretch was just plain empty on a perfectly straight unlit highway. I real freaked Farrah out, talking about alien abduction, watch the clock to know if we had lost time, etc.

There is a UFO museum in Roswell that we stopped at. It was mildy fun.

I enjoyed the Caverns. This is VERY IMPORTANT--they have special guided tours that you need to buy tickets in ADVANCE if at all possible. This is where they take a small group off of the beaten path. On the one I went on, we got to each carry a candle lantern, and we used these for light. At a certain point, we blew them all out, and experienced PITCH BLACKNESS. It was fun. So I would schedule these now, over the internet, if at all possible.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

pic from my guided trip with candle lanterns. I liked the lanterns so much, I bought a similar one off of ebay.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We drove from Utah to Roswell. Part of the stretch was just plain empty on a perfectly straight unlit highway. I real freaked Farrah out, talking about alien abduction, watch the clock to know if we had lost time, etc.

There is a UFO museum in Roswell that we stopped at. It was mildy fun.

I enjoyed the Caverns. This is VERY IMPORTANT--they have special guided tours that you need to buy tickets in ADVANCE if at all possible. This is where they take a small group off of the beaten path. On the one I went on, we got to each carry a candle lantern, and we used these for light. At a certain point, we blew them all out, and experienced PITCH BLACKNESS. It was fun. So I would schedule these now, over the internet, if at all possible.
Was the guided trip suitable for kids down to 5? How about fat out of shape guys.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Was the guided trip suitable for kids down to 5? How about fat out of shape guys.
I think it depends on the guided trip. They may have an age limit. I think 5 would not work.

It might be something where you and the two oldest girls could go, and mommy and the other girls do something else.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

wasn't that strenuous. You walk really slow. And don't go all that far.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 AM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Well that was easy. Of all the guided tours they have, only one had availabiltiy on Saturday. And it was the 1.5 hour one rated "easy" and they let kids 4 and up go. So we're going to all go. Mrs. FM reminded me that my younges has more energy than just about any of us so I think it will be fine.

I like the Roswell idea too. Anybody got any good Roswell stories I can tell while traveling through?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Well that was easy. Of all the guided tours they have, only one had availabiltiy on Saturday. And it was the 1.5 hour one rated "easy" and they let kids 4 and up go. So we're going to all go. Mrs. FM reminded me that my younges has more energy than just about any of us so I think it will be fine.

I like the Roswell idea too. Anybody got any good Roswell stories I can tell while traveling through?
You owe me bigtime. You would have shown up and said "let's do one of these guided tours that everyone keeps talking about." and found out they were all sold out.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You owe me bigtime. You would have shown up and said "let's do one of these guided tours that everyone keeps talking about." and found out they were all sold out.

Yup. There were only 7 tickets left on the one we reserved too. And we had to go at 11 instead of 10 since there were only 4 on th 10. Thanks man!