cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Prophet Hypothetical

I don't think the Church has ever been faced with this scenario, but it's bound to happen sooner or later, especially considering the average age of the senior apostles.

Hypothetical: Let's say that Thomas S. Monson is the Prophet. Boyd K. Packer is next in line to be president of the Church. However, President Packer is in a vegetative state. President Monson dies. What happens? Does the Quorum of the 12 pass on President Packer?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I don't think the Church has ever been faced with this scenario, but it's bound to happen sooner or later, especially considering the average age of the senior apostles.

Hypothetical: Let's say that Thomas S. Monson is the Prophet. Boyd K. Packer is next in line to be president of the Church. However, President Packer is in a vegetative state. President Monson dies. What happens? Does the Quorum of the 12 pass on President Packer?
They haven't faced that scenario, but they did deal with Ezra Taft Benson when he was too senile to even know who he was. I may be wrong, but it think the President is chosen by the 12. They will choose someone else. I would also think that they would see it coming and replace President Packer beforehand.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote