cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From the Fifth Sura

I should mention at the outset that I haven't really read the Qur'an, as I don't read Arabic. The English translation that I read is the one by Haleem, one recommended by two Sunni friends of mine from Jordan.

One of the things I like about reading the fifth sura is how it gets me thinking about the Word of Wisdom, and especially about eating as a sacred practice, as one that demarcates a religious person. Reading the fifth sura along with D&C 20, 27 & 89, 1 Corinthians 8, Lorenzo Snow's teachings on the Word of Wisdom, Spencer W. Kimballs talks on the garden and the birds, and the dietary restrictions in Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy, has been very worthwhile.

Here's the third verse, one that I've done some ruminating over:

"You are forbidden to eat carrion; blood; pig's meat; any animal over which any name other than God's has been invoked; any animal strangled, or victim of a violent blow or a fall, or gored or savaged by a beast of prey, unless you still slaughter it [in the correct manner]; or anything sacrificed on idolatrous altars. You are also forbidden to allot shares [of meat] by drawing marked arrows--a heinous practice--today the disbelievers have lost all hope that you will give up your religion. Do not fear them: fear Me. Today I have perfected your religion for you, completed My blessing upon you, and chosen as your religion islam: [total devotion to God]; but if any of you is forced by hunger to eat forbidden food, with no intention of doing wrong, then God is most forgiving and merciful."

Here are a few ideas bouncing around in my head:

Animals can be killed in righteous and unrighteous ways (hunters, feel free to share experiences).

Eating and preparing to eat are sacred acts, and can be central to religious identity. In Leviticus the Tabernacle priests are chefs of a sort, their tables and counters are altars.

The "arrows" phrase refers to a practice like that of casting lots.

When does meat become carrion? If a cow drops in the field but is taken to the slaughterhouse anyway before being swept into a grinder and made into a hot dog, is it carrion?

The marketing practice of branding everything is troublesome. Do Oscar Meyer, Hormel, and the like qualify as names other than God's invoked over an animal? If they do, our modern food system might be idolotrous and pagan to a Muslim.

Dire hunger is sufficient reason to violate the dietary prohibitions if your intent is righteous.

If you want to tease a Muslim friend, flip a coin over who gets which Oscar Meyer pork sausage, and talk about how the new slaughtering system strangles the pigs.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-23-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

carrion means the cow was dead befor it gets the proper slaughtering according to islam.
you'r perception is true .eating is a sacred deed so are all the other acts.
islam has special law which greatly respects animal right long time befor western guys bragging about thier pets and cuddling them in bed and prefer them to thier spouse.