cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default morning rides...

So on Sunday I found out a few guys in my ward ride just about every morning at 6 am. They invited me to go and they said I could show up just about any day and there would be 1 or 2 of the 6 guys that ride. You should know I am most definitely NOT a morning person so while the appeal of having some riding partners was great, the 5:45 wake up call was weighing heavily on my mind.

This morning my alarm sounded at 5:45 and I abruptly snoozed it for 5 more minutes... then at 10 to 6 it woke me up again and I just decided to bite the bullet and get up and go. I got my crap on, had 2 bites of a pop tart and rode to the meeting place by 6:04. I waited until 6:10 and just decided to do the 19 mile loop to emigration canyon and along wasatch on my own. I have to say that was one of the funnest rides I've done. No cars, a bit chilly, but not too cold. It was fun riding by myself this morning. The only other people I saw were other riders. I showed up early to work this morning, got all organized and I feel great. I think I'm going to do this more often. We'll see if I can wake up again!

During my ride I didn't drink too much. Only a few sips after the bigger hills other than that I was never too thirsty. I came home thinking I would have some breakfast, but when I went into the kitchen I didn't want anything. Does anybody else have this problem? I don't like eating during or after my rides... I know I should, but I just can't get myself to stuff my face with anything.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Nutrition is vital for longer rides.

Pre-ride carb load, post ride eat protein.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Excellent Pride! Morning rides rule. I am rarely out riding past 8 or 9 in the morning, and usually start between 5 and 6am. Its a great way to start the day. I always feel better after a good early morning ride.

For a distance as short as 20-30 miles, I don't find myself needing to fuel up before or during rides. When on a longer ride, I usually start eating at about 25 or 30 miles. As for post ride eats, I am the opposite as you. I am usually ravenous after a good morning ride. Again, for a short ride, a good carb and protein recovery meal isn't that big of a deal. Once you really hit a saturday ride hard to the point of near-failure, a post-ride recovery meal is vital to getting you ready for your next ride. the first 30-60 minutes post-ride is definitely the best time to re-fuel.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Excellent Pride! Morning rides rule. I am rarely out riding past 8 or 9 in the morning, and usually start between 5 and 6am. Its a great way to start the day. I always feel better after a good early morning ride.

For a distance as short as 20-30 miles, I don't find myself needing to fuel up before or during rides. When on a longer ride, I usually start eating at about 25 or 30 miles. As for post ride eats, I am the opposite as you. I am usually ravenous after a good morning ride. Again, for a short ride, a good carb and protein recovery meal isn't that big of a deal. Once you really hit a saturday ride hard to the point of near-failure, a post-ride recovery meal is vital to getting you ready for your next ride. the first 30-60 minutes post-ride is definitely the best time to re-fuel.
I really want to go on a long ride soon. The guys from my ward did a 55 miler last Saturday at about 21 mph. Trouble is, last weekend my FIL wanted ride our new mountain bikes and I have a feeling that's how we are going to spend most of our Saturday mornings now. I like mountain biking a lot, it's a blast, and it actually feels more natural to me, but I feel more motivated to stick to road riding probably 95% of the time. I probably shouldn't have spent as much money as I did for my mountain bike considering I only plan to use it 5% of the time I'm on 2 wheels, but too late to now! I'm actually finding it to be a fun time because I can pull my little girl around in our buggy. Plus my wife gets to ride on her mtb with me too. In the end, it was probably worth it to me.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I really want to go on a long ride soon. The guys from my ward did a 55 miler last Saturday at about 21 mph. Trouble is, last weekend my FIL wanted ride our new mountain bikes and I have a feeling that's how we are going to spend most of our Saturday mornings now. I like mountain biking a lot, it's a blast, and it actually feels more natural to me, but I feel more motivated to stick to road riding probably 95% of the time. I probably shouldn't have spent as much money as I did for my mountain bike considering I only plan to use it 5% of the time I'm on 2 wheels, but too late to now! I'm actually finding it to be a fun time because I can pull my little girl around in our buggy. Plus my wife gets to ride on her mtb with me too. In the end, it was probably worth it to me.
I love mountain biking too. I look at my road riding as a way to train for a mountain ride. I get a better, more controlled workout on the roadie. So when I am mountain biking, it is less work and I can enjoy the experience.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer morning rides as well. Fewer cars, (unless you are hitting commute routes), cooler air, and you get the ride in, which is less likely to happen if you start the rest of your day. DId one this morning ( short little ride with a short little climb that just underscored my lack of fitness, but I enjoyed it).
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I prefer morning rides as well. Fewer cars, (unless you are hitting commute routes), cooler air, and you get the ride in, which is less likely to happen if you start the rest of your day. DId one this morning ( short little ride with a short little climb that just underscored my lack of fitness, but I enjoyed it).
your avatar is awesome... just wondering what you consider a short little ride. also, at what speed do you plan on riding ULCER?! what was the suggested speed by some of the other guys? 21-24 mph?

"I'm on my beater bike"