cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Reverend Dean Jackson

Our recent "visits" from aaronshaf have inspired me to share a story with you about a different approach for reaching out to the Mormons in Utah Valley. I live in North Provo and one of the families in our neighborhood is the Dean Jackson family. Dean is the reverend of the Rock Canyon Assembly of God Church. Dean is a great guy is and loved by everyone. He is a huge man (6'-5" or something like that) and he has a goatee and likes to cruise around on his Harley. Reverend Jackson came here in the 90's and after a few years realized that confrontation with the LDS community was not a Christ-like way to promote their religion. He decided that there was too much hatred and bitterness towards the Mormons in his congregation. This led him to a dramatic decision. He declared 1998 to be a "year of forgiveness" for his congregation and he had everyone sign a statement of apology to the LDS community. It was a remarkable move and it generated lots of media coverage. Here is an article that covers the story:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/aog_provo.html

It's a bit long, but well worth the read. There is some great stuff towards the end. The article mentions a CD his congregation produced called "Hymns We Share" highlighting popular hymns in both the LDS and Assemby of God hymnals. They gave a copy to everyone in the neighborhood for Christmas one year. I was quite surprised with the quality of the music. The hymns were all "jazzed-up" (can't think of a better word) by church musicians (guitars, drums, etc.). The concept of a rock band at church every week almost made me switch churches.

Here are some interesting quotes from the article. This is the main part of the statement of repentence and reconciliation:
"In an effort to allow God's ministry of reconciliation to us to be evident in our lives, we the undersigned do hereby declare that in times past our attitudes and actions toward members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been completely unlike that which was demonstrated through the example of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We therefore join in solidarity with the Pastoral Staff, Executive Board and Leaders of Rock Canyon Assembly Worship Center in humble and sincere repentance for this behavior. Having received forgiveness from God, we now ask for forgiveness from the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We declare 1998 The Year of Repentance. We pledge to live our lives as ambassadors for Christ, as though He were making His appeal through us."
Some quotes from the service:
"We're not here this morning to tell you that our doctrine is somehow going to mesh with yours, or yours with ours. Let's not put that kind of pressure on each other. But we live here in this community with you, and we love this community--which means we love you as our neighbors. This morning we're saying that we repent for our attitudes and actions--what you've seen from us in public, and things we've done and said privately that you would have no way of knowing."

Harking back to 2 Corinthians 5, Jackson added: "God doesn't want me stirring up war with the LDS church or anyone else. He wants me to be a force for reconciliation. That is what leads me, on behalf of this church, to stand here today and say we're sorry, and we repent for our warlike actions.
I really like this beehive quote:
No wonder that when Dean Jackson looks out from his pulpit on Sunday mornings these days, he sees more Mormons in the pews than ever before. People are asking him questions, seeking to understand, sorting out what it means to receive God's grace and live with him forever.

"We don't need any more jihads in Utah, please," Jackson says. "We're known as the Beehive State--a symbol of Mormon industriousness. And too many times, outsiders come here to kick the beehive, then run for the airport and leave me with a swarm of angry bees.

"If you come to Utah looking for a fight, you'll get the biggest battle you've ever seen. But if you come saying, 'I love this town and I want to see what God can do here,' you may be surprised by what unfolds."
Reverend Jackson continues to serve as pastor. Our ward joins with his congregation every easter for a sunrise service. Whenever you see Dean in the grocery store in our neighborhood, all of the LDS folks are drawn towards him, shaking hands, swapping stories, asking about his family, etc. It's a wonderful and inspiring thing to behold.

Aaron, if you ever read this, I hope you take note. You could learn a lot from Reverend Jackson.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Our recent "visits" from aaronshaf have inspired me to share a story with you about a different approach for reaching out to the Mormons in Utah Valley. I live in North Provo and one of the families in our neighborhood is the Dean Jackson family. Dean is the reverend of the Rock Canyon Assembly of God Church. Dean is a great guy is and loved by everyone. He is a huge man (6'-5" or something like that) and he has a goatee and likes to cruise around on his Harley. Reverend Jackson came here in the 90's and after a few years realized that confrontation with the LDS community was not a Christ-like way to promote their religion. He decided that there was too much hatred and bitterness towards the Mormons in his congregation. This led him to a dramatic decision. He declared 1998 to be a "year of forgiveness" for his congregation and he had everyone sign a statement of apology to the LDS community. It was a remarkable move and it generated lots of media coverage. Here is an article that covers the story:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/aog_provo.html

It's a bit long, but well worth the read. There is some great stuff towards the end. The article mentions a CD his congregation produced called "Hymns We Share" highlighting popular hymns in both the LDS and Assemby of God hymnals. They gave a copy to everyone in the neighborhood for Christmas one year. I was quite surprised with the quality of the music. The hymns were all "jazzed-up" (can't think of a better word) by church musicians (guitars, drums, etc.). The concept of a rock band at church every week almost made me switch churches.

Here are some interesting quotes from the article. This is the main part of the statement of repentence and reconciliation:
"In an effort to allow God's ministry of reconciliation to us to be evident in our lives, we the undersigned do hereby declare that in times past our attitudes and actions toward members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been completely unlike that which was demonstrated through the example of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We therefore join in solidarity with the Pastoral Staff, Executive Board and Leaders of Rock Canyon Assembly Worship Center in humble and sincere repentance for this behavior. Having received forgiveness from God, we now ask for forgiveness from the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We declare 1998 The Year of Repentance. We pledge to live our lives as ambassadors for Christ, as though He were making His appeal through us."
Some quotes from the service:
"We're not here this morning to tell you that our doctrine is somehow going to mesh with yours, or yours with ours. Let's not put that kind of pressure on each other. But we live here in this community with you, and we love this community--which means we love you as our neighbors. This morning we're saying that we repent for our attitudes and actions--what you've seen from us in public, and things we've done and said privately that you would have no way of knowing."

Harking back to 2 Corinthians 5, Jackson added: "God doesn't want me stirring up war with the LDS church or anyone else. He wants me to be a force for reconciliation. That is what leads me, on behalf of this church, to stand here today and say we're sorry, and we repent for our warlike actions.
I really like this beehive quote:
No wonder that when Dean Jackson looks out from his pulpit on Sunday mornings these days, he sees more Mormons in the pews than ever before. People are asking him questions, seeking to understand, sorting out what it means to receive God's grace and live with him forever.

"We don't need any more jihads in Utah, please," Jackson says. "We're known as the Beehive State--a symbol of Mormon industriousness. And too many times, outsiders come here to kick the beehive, then run for the airport and leave me with a swarm of angry bees.

"If you come to Utah looking for a fight, you'll get the biggest battle you've ever seen. But if you come saying, 'I love this town and I want to see what God can do here,' you may be surprised by what unfolds."
Reverend Jackson continues to serve as pastor. Our ward joins with his congregation every easter for a sunrise service. Whenever you see Dean in the grocery store in our neighborhood, all of the LDS folks are drawn towards him, shaking hands, swapping stories, asking about his family, etc. It's a wonderful and inspiring thing to behold.

Aaron, if you ever read this, I hope you take note. You could learn a lot from Reverend Jackson.

Very cool. Thanks for the read. Makes you wonder what would happen if LDS church did the same thing.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Very cool. Thanks for the read. Makes you wonder what would happen if LDS church did the same thing.
What? Rode Harleys?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Both his name and church are vaguely familiar but I cannot place why. FWIW, I have many friends who attended BYU in the late 90's.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing the article. I liked the quote about the swarm of angry bees too-- it's a great analogy and has special meaning for me too (due to my husband's most recent hobby). I hope AS reads this too.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Thanks for sharing the article. I liked the quote about the swarm of angry bees too-- it's a great analogy and has special meaning for me too (due to my husband's most recent hobby).
That simile comes from Homer:

"They swarmed like bees that sally from some hollow cave and flit in countless

throng among the spring flowers, bunched in knots and clusters;

even so did the mighty multitude pour from ships and tents to the

assembly, and range themselves upon the wide-watered shore, while

among them ran Wildfire Rumour, messenger of Jove, urging them

ever to the fore."

The Iliad, Book II

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote