cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default King James Bible and fundamentalist evangelicals

I found this curious entry in wikipedia about the KJV and how many extreme conservative evangelicals consider it to be the only true translation. Very odd. I'd never heard about anything like that before until I happened to notice a picture of conference protesters on fairlds.org of one of them holding a sign pointing out that only the KJV was inspired and all others were of the devil. Apparently the main motivation being that more modern translations based on older and better sources don't support their doctrinal positions as well as they'd like. Which kind of begs the question of why would God make the Bible be inerrant only in one English version from the 1600s but not in other languages or in the original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King-James-Only_Movement
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I found this curious entry in wikipedia about the KJV and how many extreme conservative evangelicals consider it to be the only true translation. Very odd. I'd never heard about anything like that before until I happened to notice a picture of conference protesters on fairlds.org of one of them holding a sign pointing out that only the KJV was inspired and all others were of the devil. Apparently the main motivation being that more modern translations based on older and better sources don't support their doctrinal positions as well as they'd like. Which kind of begs the question of why would God make the Bible be inerrant only in one English version from the 1600s but not in other languages or in the original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King-James-Only_Movement
I don't understand how Mormons can disagree with them given that so much of JS's translation of the Book of Mormon turned out to almost exactly parrot the King James Versoin.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I found this curious entry in wikipedia about the KJV and how many extreme conservative evangelicals consider it to be the only true translation. Very odd. I'd never heard about anything like that before
I've never heard that before either. All the hardcore evangelicals I know go with either NAS or NIV.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't understand how Mormons can disagree with them given that so much of JS's translation of the Book of Mormon turned out to almost exactly parrot the King James Versoin.
That's silly. Where the KJV was adequate for the passage being quoted, I don't see the problem. Are you really saying that despite the LDS belief about the Bible not being perfect that we should change that idea because the Book of Mormon has passages that mirror the KJV? So because it's there it must be perfect. You're setting up a straw man you can tear down. That's all you're doing.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-16-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
That's silly. Where the KJV was adequate for the passage being quoted, I don't see the problem. Are you really saying that despite the LDS belief about the Bible not being perfect that we should change that idea because the Book of Mormon has passages that mirror the KJV? So because it's there it must be perfect. You're setting up a straw man you can tear down. That's all you're doing.
We've discussed this ad nauseum before. Only a hack translator would refer to a prior (imperfect) version and copy the "adequate" parts. Lame.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
We've discussed this ad nauseum before. Only a hack translator would refer to a prior (imperfect) version and copy the "adequate" parts. Lame.
As if Joseph was a professional translator. For all we know he was going along looking through the Urim & Thummim and read "insert Isaiah 2:1-10 here." You really get hung up on some weird stuff.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That was your conclusion, not the conclusion from the remainder of the discussion participants.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
As if Joseph was a professional translator. For all we know he was going along looking through the Urim & Thummim and read "insert Isaiah 2:1-10 here." You really get hung up on some weird stuff.
You think Joseph looked through a pair of brass goggles fastened to an ancient breast plate he found burried in New York that gave him citations to the King James Version like a magic eight ball, and I'm the wierd one. Can't argue with that.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
You think Joseph looked through a pair of brass goggles fastened to an ancient breast plate he found burried in New York that gave him citations to the King James Version like a magic eight ball, and I'm the wierd one. Can't argue with that.
Yeah, something like that. What I meant was, for someone who doesn't believe in God it seems kind of odd that you get off on tangents like why the Book of Mormon has KJV citations in it or about how LDS shouldn't like other translations. Like it should even matter to you. Thanks for hijacking the thread.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-18-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Mr. Weisberg.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote