cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Art

For those that don’t know me I’m an arteest –painter, sculptor, would be illustrator. Often I am asked why I do not create religious themed drawings or paintings. There was a period during my mission when I did some nice religiously themed scketches, however my creative desires sleep in a different bed.

Lately I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about religious art. I am certainly not an art snob –for example I do not hate Robert Bateman, which is a prerequisite attitude for any self-respecting arteest these days.

Along those same lines of thought I don’t have a problem with the current crop of perfectly posed, attired and well groomed north American looking middle eastern personages in paintings that are turned into prints and sold by the thousands. You are not going to find one on the walls of my home, but I think it’s great if you have many of them.

I have really begun to wrestle with idea of what I would draw or paint –were I to paint a religiously themed scene. What appeals to me most would be depicting the ordinary, non-miraculous but fun moments of Christ’s life where he’s not so reverent looking. For example: Christ and his apostles sharing a smile and a chuckle when Paul shows up late, again, for a meeting.

I think maybe I don’t really entertain doing such creative works because I imagine it will offend people, or worse offend God.

What dy’all think?

Last edited by tooblue; 03-22-2007 at 09:00 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

my brother painted a scene of Jesus with a bunch of kids around him. He painted my face on the kid sitting on Jesus lap.

nice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I have really begun to wrestle with idea of what I would draw or paint –were I to paint a religiously themed scene. What appeals to me most would be depicting the ordinary, non-miraculous but fun moments of Christ’s life where he’s not so reverent looking. For example: Christ and his apostles sharing a smile and a chuckle when Paul shows up late, again, for a meeting.

I think maybe I don’t really entertain doing such creative works because I imagine it will offend people, or worse offend God.

What dy’all think?
How about him doing the chicken dance at the wedding in Cana?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For those that don’t know me I’m an arteest –painter, sculptor, would be illustrator. Often I am asked why I do not create religious themed drawings or paintings. There was a period during my mission when I did some nice religiously themed scketches, however my creative desires sleep in a different bed.

Lately I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about religious art. I am certainly not an art snob –for example I do not hate Robert Bateman, which is a prerequisite attitude for any self-respecting arteest these days.

Along those same lines of thought I don’t have a problem with the current crop of perfectly posed, attired and well groomed north American looking middle eastern personages in paintings that are turned into prints and sold by the thousands. You are not going to find one on the walls of my home, but I think it’s great if you have many of them.

What dy’all think?
One of the things which studying textual criticism is doing for me is creating the understanding that God incarnate was more human that the sanitized version of scripture reveals. In Mark, it shows the Jesus may have been upset with the Pharisees because the leper was not healed.

With that intro, I wonder, despite of our aversion for levity, that God is more accepting of lighter moments and would appreciate something like the Apostles laughing at Paul being late.

One of my favorite moments in conference was somebody observing about President Hinckley that they wondered if they had ever seen President nod off during any meeting, to which the line came, "Not while I was awake."

Please share some lighter moments. God may be much more humane and interesting than our sanitized versions give him credit for.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Often I am asked why I do not create religious themed drawings or paintings.
Jeez after what happened to that poor Asher Lev, I don't blame you.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

First I'd like to congratulate you on the shortest thread title in the history of the board.

I wouldn't be offended. I think some probably would, or might misinterpret your intent. But you can't please everyone.

If you're trying to figure out what God thinks, consider your motivation. If you're doing all your work soli deo gloria, I don't see how God could be offended.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Jeez after what happened to that poor Asher Lev, I don't blame you.
I love those books. Chaim Potok was one of my favorite teenage authors.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I love those books. Chaim Potok was one of my favorite teenage authors.
He worte thise books when he was a teenager!?! Impressive.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For example: Christ and his apostles sharing a smile and a chuckle when Paul shows up late, again, for a meeting.
I think this is a great idea. Ideally, artists shouldn't have to worry about offending people; they should worry about expressing themselves.

A gentle suggestion: Having Paul show up late to a meeting with Christ and the apostles would be a little problematic, since Paul came later (unless this is a meeting in a non-terrestrial realm).

When I read The Last Temptation by Nikos Kazantzakis, I was really moved by his depiction of the human Jesus. Before beginning (and indeed during) his ministry, Kazantzakis' Jesus is plagued by fear and nightmares. I've always wondered what a frightened Christ would look like. Maybe not the most orthodox thought I've ever had, but it's an image I like to imagine.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:57 AM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

What dy’all think?
You should paint Paul and Peter fighting

Another one that would be neat is one of christ reading and then discovering what is written is about him...

Another one could be where he accidentally hit is thumb while doing some carpentry