cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Racism is okay.

These definitions were recently suggested to me by my fairly left leaning colleague:

Racism: The belief that you can make some accurate generalizations about people based on their race. This is okay because, of couse, you CAN make many generalizations about races as a group though of course there are exceptions. There is nothing wrong with this and we all do it every day.

Bigotry: The belief that because of the differences above, you are superior to someone else and/or that your rights should be superior to theirs. This is morally reprehensible.

What do people think?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

That there is nothing wrong with "racism" would not fit with normal usage of the word.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That there is nothing wrong with "racism" would not fit with normal usage of the word.
Here is what Merriam Websters thinks:

Racism:
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Bigot:
a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Would you say that the dictionary version is what most people mean by racism? I would argue that common usage favors a FAR more expansive definition.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I love to get philosphical about racism.

I believe racism/sexism/religious bigotry/any other kind of prejudice can be defined as:

the potential to misunderstand, offend, overgeneralize, or misjudge another person or group of people due to differences in perspective in race, religion, sex, culture, class, or other sociological differences

Then racism/sexism/bigotry can be further dissected as to how serious or offensive it is.

I believe my judging of a black teen's talk and dress is racist, simply because it's foreign to me and it's impossible for me to ignore it when dealing with that black teen. Whether I think it's cool, ignorant, hip, smart, boring, stupid, whatever it's all racist because it's a culture I don't understand from my direct human experience.

Now I can take that inherent racism and let it lead me to being intentionally or even unintentionally abusive, or I can acknowledge the lack of understanding, and try to incorporate that humility into my thoughts and actions.

We are all racists. But we don't have to be jerks.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
We are all racists. But we don't have to be jerks.
I think that is what my colleague was suggesting.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think that is what my colleague was suggesting.
I think Jay is correct and I generally agree with your colleague, but that word is so nuclear that redefining it in the way suggested is probably impossible.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road
Default Discrimination is another loaded word in our culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I think Jay is correct and I generally agree with your colleague, but that word is so nuclear that redefining it in the way suggested is probably impossible.
Oh, but it is so fun to try...

For some time, I have occasionally mentioned to someone that I discriminate. Their eyes get wide, or they give me a funny look, and so I tell them that furthermore, I think that people that don't discriminate are dangerous kooks.

Finally, I explain to them that sure, I discriminated when I decided to marry my wife instead of someone else, I discriminated when I chose what to eat for breakfast this morning, and so forth. Discrimination is not only OK, I tell them, its desirable!

Maybe I'll throw in a jab at racism now and again, now that you've planted the idea in my mind...
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
Oh, but it is so fun to try...

For some time, I have occasionally mentioned to someone that I discriminate. Their eyes get wide, or they give me a funny look, and so I tell them that furthermore, I think that people that don't discriminate are dangerous kooks.

Finally, I explain to them that sure, I discriminated when I decided to marry my wife instead of someone else, I discriminated when I chose what to eat for breakfast this morning, and so forth. Discrimination is not only OK, I tell them, its desirable!

Maybe I'll throw in a jab at racism now and again, now that you've planted the idea in my mind...
But we should also be ready to admit our discriminations are not always (in fact almost never) perfect and pure and correct, therefore our discriminations (though necessary) are constantly sinful and potentially hurtful and offensive to others.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote