cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Pelosi and the New Democrats

I thought this was another interesting article from The Times of London.

The topic is whether the Democrats can mess up enough to jeopardize the '08 election.

The info on Pelosi is enlightening:
Quote:
But that was before Nancy Pelosi discovered the discreet charm of the private jet. It has been the custom since September 11, 2001 that the Speakers of the House of Representatives, for security reasons, get a private military aircraft to fly them to and from their constituencies. Ms Pelosi’s Republican predecessor, Dennis Hastert, an ample man with an ample entourage, made do with a small 16-seat commuter jet. But Ms Pelosi decided that was inadequate. She’d need something with a longer range to get her from Washington to her home in San Francisco.

But eyebrows were raised in the Pentagon when they saw what she had in mind. A US Air Force C32 would fit the bill nicely, she said; and it should have all the trimmings — 42 seats, all leather-upholstered, a state room, an entertainment centre, a state-of-the-art communications facility, a private bedroom and presumably, if Democratic pronouncements on climate change are to be taken at face value, enough carbon emissions to send a couple of small villages in SouthEast Asia sliding into the sea. Ladies and gentlemen, the seat belt sign has been turned off. You are now free to lord it over the country.

The Pentagon has denied Ms Pelosi her upgrade but the story is an instructive little parable about the power shift under way in Washington.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you understand, this isn't a big deal. My Dem co-worker has informed me that it's a non-issue and Republicans are trying to make something out of nothing.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I don't think you understand, this isn't a big deal. My Dem co-worker has informed me that it's a non-issue and Republicans are trying to make something out of nothing.
What a coincidence! That's precisely what Ms. Pelosi said!!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The more things change, the more they stay the same in politics.

Poor Representative Pelosi. Now she'll have to stop to refuel somewhere in the heartland where people she wants nothing to do with will have the opportunity to see her and mock her in the smaller plane.

Whatever will she do?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I thought this was another interesting article from The Times of London.

The topic is whether the Democrats can mess up enough to jeopardize the '08 election.

The info on Pelosi is enlightening:
That is not exactly unvarnished news coming from Rupert Murdoch's avowedly conservative rag in London.

The White House says this is a non issue. I am not sure what it has to do with anything related to government, but this is rule number one of a minority party, turn on the character assassination. It worked for the Dems and it will work for the Reps.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Now she'll have to stop to refuel somewhere in the heartland where people she wants nothing to do with will have the opportunity to see her and mock her in the smaller plane.

Whatever will she do?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Goodness forbid she should have to stop in St. Louis or Tulsa or something.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 02-18-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
That is not exactly unvarnished news coming from Rupert Murdoch's avowedly conservative rag in London.

The White House says this is a non issue. I am not sure what it has to do with anything related to government, but this is rule number one of a minority party, turn on the character assassination. It worked for the Dems and it will work for the Reps.
The only thing that ever changes is which party is abusing power.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Oh, so now the White House is a trustworthy source.

Serious question, if Nancy Pelosi were a Republican making the same arguments about the plane, would you be upset? Does anything about her request make you uncomfortable?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Oh, so now the White House is a trustworthy source.

Serious question, if Nancy Pelosi were a Republican making the same arguments about the plane, would you be upset? Does anything about her request make you uncomfortable?
First, when one portion of the party says there is no problem then you have to think that there is not too much to it. Also, anything that comes out of the House is suspect in my eyes since it is such an unruly body.

No, it would not bother me. Nothing corrupt about it. I don't care about the personalization of politics. I'm a policy guy. To me this kind of stuff is the political equivalent of the National Enquirer.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
The only thing that ever changes is which party is abusing power.
So much cynicism in one so young.