cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How come I'm not surprised CB is rallying around Tim Hardaway...

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2492200

Does anyone else find this as disturbing as I do?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the past couple of days, what is disturbing, is that they try and say it in a way that won't get them in trouble: "It is refreshing to hear someone say how they feel and not all of that PC bs." Oh, really. Yes, that is what I think when someone says how much they hate a group of people...are you freakin' kidding me? I love hearing the justification for Hardaway from that board. Pretty sad.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I do not justify Tim Hardaways comments at all.

That being said, there is an underlying problem that goes beyond just bigotry/hate. The problem is one of logistics: how does society deal with the issue of a man that is sexually attracted to men being in the same locker room with men (where presumably they are showering, dressing/undressing, urinating, etc. in front of each other)? If it's no big deal to have people that are sexually attracted to each other in the same locker room then why have separate locker rooms for men and women?

Just curious to hear thoughts on this logistical issue.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2492200

Does anyone else find this as disturbing as I do?
No not really. I'll make a generalization but I bet most (more than 50%) professional athletes feel the same way as Mr. Killer Crossover does and would treat an out of the closet teammate much the way he descibes.

Don't misconstrue what I am saying here as support for Hardaway either. But I think many people identify gay almost like a race when it can be argued that it's a lifestyle (not that I care to argue that either, just setting up my next point). What if Tim Hardaway would have said I am homophobic and I hate the gay lifestyle and left it at that? Would that have been wrong?

On a sidenote, I am sick of ESPN talking about Amaechi. He wouldn't have been but a blip on their station if they weren't publishing his book.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I do not justify Tim Hardaways comments at all.

That being said, there is an underlying problem that goes beyond just bigotry/hate. The problem is one of logistics: how does society deal with the issue of a man that is sexually attracted to men being in the same locker room with men (where presumably they are showering, dressing/undressing, urinating, etc. in front of each other)? If it's no big deal to have people that are sexually attracted to each other in the same locker room then why have separate locker rooms for men and women?

Just curious to hear thoughts on this logistical issue.
Is it really that big of a deal? In the theater aren't men and women dressing and undressing all the time backstage in front of each other? They're professionals and it's part of the job. It's one thing if someone is ogling or making sexual advances, but other than I think it's a non-issue.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Is it really that big of a deal? In the theater aren't men and women dressing and undressing all the time backstage in front of each other? They're professionals and it's part of the job. It's one thing if someone is ogling or making sexual advances, but other than I think it's a non-issue.
I don't know what goes on in the theater but it's probably safe to say that whatever level of costume changing is occuring they're not showering or urinating back there.

I don't know if it's a big deal or not but we obviously have separate mens/womens locker rooms so society thinks (or at least has historically thought) that on some level it's not a good idea to have people that are sexually attracted to each other showering, etc. in the same place. I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this. "It's no big deal" just leaves me with too many questions, specifically:

Do you think that separate mens/womens facilities is just an outmoded tradition of society? Are you basically saying that you don't see a need for separate mens/womens locker rooms? Or perhaps the reason society has historically separated men/women in a locker-room type setting has nothing to do with sexual attraction and therefore we need not worry about same-sex attraction in the locker room?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote