cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Treadmill

I just got a treadmill a month ago and I am a new man. I have let my body go to pot but I am now a working out machine (by this I mean that I work out about 10% of what Archaea does on a lazy afternoon). I am walking (3.5mph, 2% incline) about 1.5 miles in the morning...and then I walk (3.5mph, 3% incline) about 2.5 miles in the night. So, about 4 miles a day. If I can end up doing about 5 miles a day, I will be pleased.

I have a bunch of other home gym equipment (rowing machine, weights, etc.) but the treadmill is the most used. It helps to be able to have a television, radio and an IPOD all ready to be used as I workout. Now if I can just lose that final 20 pounds, then I will be a sexy beast.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Treadmills are great if you use them, but I can't stand them. I like to be outside and see things and go places while I exercise. That being said, I am really considering getting a trainer for my bike next winter. I didn't ride at all, cause it was too cold and dark. So I will probably hate that too, but at least I will stop being so lazy.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Treadmills are great if you use them, but I can't stand them. I like to be outside and see things and go places while I exercise. That being said, I am really considering getting a trainer for my bike next winter. I didn't ride at all, cause it was too cold and dark. So I will probably hate that too, but at least I will stop being so lazy.

I understand Piney but treadmills are useful for several reasons. First, convenience. No matter what you do, if you're inside, you can use it and with television time flies. Same for trainer sessions. Second, I've been restructuring my posture in running and cadence. I would not be able to measure cadence as well without it. Third, if you don't have partners integrals are easier.

So I've acquired new appreciation for trainers and treadmills. Of course, the maintenance on them is a pain.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

For me personally, I can't run on a treadmill. I get anterior shin splints within about 10-15 minutes, without fail. Running on the road is fine, but the mechanics involved with treadmill running are just different enough cause me problems.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote