cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I support the surge

copy of my post from cougarboard.

Quote:
I support it.

Even though I have been saying things like the Iraq Study Group for a long time.

Why do I support it? It's pretty simple. It's like when you are playing Texas Hold 'Em, sometimes you go for the straight. The gambler instinct in me says go for it.

After this amount of time and effort and sacrifice, I think one last surge is worth it.

Do I have a lot of confidence in Bush? No. Do I think the odds are against a surge working? Yes. But even if there is only a 25% chance of it working, I think you lay down the chips.

Now by saying "chips" I don't want to make light of this. These are lives. Husbands, sons, fathers. And I'm sure this weighs on the president.

And I would like to add: Muqtada should get a telegram from us. "Change now or die."

What if this surge doesn't work? Then we withdraw post haste and let the Iraqis unleash hades on themselves (or alternatively come together).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Agreed.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Agreed.
agree also. the progressive thing to do is to stick with'em as much as possible. the conservative thing to do is to blow the place up, take their oil, and leave the mess/set up puppet govt or permanent base.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

If we are going to surge, shouldn't we really SURGE? Twenty thousand more troops won't do a lot in my opinion. Either get enough boots on the ground to control everything (i don't know what this number is, but I feel certain that this escalation is not enough) like there should have been in the first place, or tone it down.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
If we are going to surge, shouldn't we really SURGE? Twenty thousand more troops won't do a lot in my opinion. Either get enough boots on the ground to control everything (i don't know what this number is, but I feel certain that this escalation is not enough) like there should have been in the first place, or tone it down.
Good point. I go back and forth on this one. I am quite pessimistic that a democracy will ever work there.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
agree also. the progressive thing to do is to stick with'em as much as possible. the conservative thing to do is to blow the place up, take their oil, and leave the mess/set up puppet govt or permanent base.
I'm for your conservative approach. Better that we control the oil and money than terrorists.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm for your conservative approach. Better that we control the oil and money than terrorists.
And by "we" you mean Exxon and Standard Oil, correct?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
And by "we" you mean Exxon and Standard Oil, correct?
Yes and no.

I have no problem with big oil because I'm a capitalist.

But by we, I mean the US controlling it for US interests. Big oil may be greedy bastards, like me, but their goal is to make obscene profits, not kill me because I don't want to live in the 7th century.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A lot of stupid loose talk here. Would the world be better off if U.S. corporations rather than "terrorists" were firmly in control of Iraqi oil? Certainly. I'm confident that whatever "control" they gained over the resreves would be pursuant to bilateral contracts vigorously negotiated by and therefore fair and equitable to all parties to such contracts, including the nation of Iraq, which owns the resreves. Thus the Iraqi people and indeed the entire free world would be better off.

But the evidence currently is that the necessary conditions for this to occur aren't practical. Captialism, particularly international capitalism, loves peace, and indeed really requires it to function at practically any level. Il Padrino seems to be under the illusion that the plan has been for us to steal Iraq's oil. Not so. Are the conditions necessary for U.S. corporations to obtain control over the oil pursuant to commercial contracts attainable? The evidence makes me doubt that this is possible in the near future.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote