cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default Joe Cannon as new Desnews editor

that is about the most dumb ass thing I've heard in awhile

I can't believe the paper replaced a top-notch journalist in John Hughes with a gutless amoral political slug

This move will and should invite criticism of the church
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post

I can't believe the paper replaced a top-notch journalist in John Hughes with a gutless amoral political slug

This move will and should invite criticism of the church
My thoughts exactly. I was stunned.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post

I confess that I'm not well acquainted with Joe Cannon. Sure he's a political slug, but I really haven't seen anything that would make me think he's a gutless and amoral. What did he do to deserve those qualifications?

As to whether he's fit to become editor of the D-News, it seemed like an odd choice to me. It will be interesting to see if there is a shift in their coverage. If Cannon is smart, which he probably is, he will overcompensate to ensure that the paper avoids biased coverage.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Joe Cannon is Congressman Chris Cannon's brother. He was the CEO of Geneva Steel as it sunk into bankruptcy. He has been the chairman of the Utah GOP party and has held numerous other high-profile political appointments. He has almost no background in publishing/editing. I can't think of a single good reason why Joe Cannon would make a good editor.

Time to drop my subscription.

Here is the story:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650213731,00.html
Old 12-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default I feel for the reporter who had to write

that gushing story. Pretty pathetic

I guess Howard Dean wasn't available to edit the paper
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

I still don't see why he's gutless and amoral.

Although it's been pointed out that Geneva Steel went bankrupt on his watch, it would be fair to note that he rescued it from bankruptcy 20 years earlier.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I still don't see why he's gutless and amoral.

Although it's been pointed out that Geneva Steel went bankrupt on his watch, it would be fair to note that he rescued it from bankruptcy 20 years earlier.
OK, strike those words.

Give me one good reason why Joe Cannon is a good pick for an editor.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

He's been on the D-News Board of Directors for 10 years

To be honest, I really, really, really don't have a clue as to what makes a good newspaper editor. I was just wondering why he was called gutless and amoral. It seemed a unfair. For being so concerned about the integrity of fair and accurate newspapers, you guys don't seem too concerned about a fair portrayal of Joe Cannon.

I do like the fact that it will piss off whiny journalists. They're quite uppity and I like seeing them cry about journalistic integrity.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
He's been on the D-News Board of Directors for 10 years

To be honest, I really, really, really don't have a clue as to what makes a good newspaper editor. I was just wondering why he was called gutless and amoral. It seemed a unfair. For being so concerned about the integrity of fair and accurate newspapers, you guys don't seem too concerned about a fair portrayal of Joe Cannon.

I do like the fact that it will piss off whiny journalists. They're quite uppity and I like seeing them cry about journalistic integrity.
Ask Mastershake about the "gutless and amoral" part. You are making that into a red herring.

If your sole objectice is to "piss off whiny journalists", then they may as well appoint a five-year-old kid as editor. Or a chimpanzee. Just think how much that would piss them off.

I am not an expert on journalism either, but I think it is a safe bet to say that an editor ought to have some experience in journalism and shouldn't be too overtly political. Especially not a former leader of a political party.

Here is a good perspective from an expert:

Bryce Nelson, a professor of journalism at the University of Southern California's Annenberg Institute, said ideally, an editor-in-chief is somebody who has cut his teeth as a reporter and understands journalism and, possibly more importantly, journalists.
Nelson said it is also important to readers to have somebody leading a newspaper who possesses strong credentials and does not have "overtly" partisan leanings.
"The editor is the public face of the newspaper, and especially in a city the size of Salt Lake, they will know the editor's background," Nelson said. "Readers who want unbiased news will look at that editor to help them determine which paper to read."
He worried that replacing a well-respected editor like Hughes with someone who recently chaired the state GOP would "damage the credibility" of the Deseret Morning News — even if the newspaper already has conservative tendencies.
It is also uncommon for a newspaper to bring somebody in from the business side to run the editorial side.
"In most companies, the business board and the editorial side are very separate," he said. "The editor represents the editorial side and doesn't normally come from the board."
Old 12-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've met John Hughes a few times. He had been a professor in my dept. at the Y before I got there and was well-respected by his colleagues there.

Frankly, the Des News was lucky to have him and Joe Cannon has big shoes to fill.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote