cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default another model weighs-in

I guess the Bassett Football Model doesn't have the double-secret PED equation; it has significantly less than 91% chance of winning:

http://members.cox.net/gbassett/foot...6wk13pred.html
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I guess the Bassett Football Model doesn't have the double-secret PED equation; it has significantly less than 91% chance of winning:

http://members.cox.net/gbassett/foot...6wk13pred.html
Bassett's model is one of many models you can find at http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

He apparently has BYU with a 60-70% chance of winning.

He has BYU #22, Utah #50. The average at mratings is BYU #20, Utah #58.

My model has BYU #19, Utah #54 and a 74% chance to win.

Vegas has a wider MOV than I do, and I'm not sure about their chance to win, but probably greater than my 74%. I'd take Vegas if I had to choose between the different opinions.

Indy's PED Model has BYU #1 and not sure about Utah. Indy would be the first to tell you his model isn't as good a predictor as these other models. It's valuable in the sense that it shows how important pass effiency is.

It is cool that Indy got under the skin of Utes almost as much as Curtis. That's a powerful effect for a dude on the internet.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I got under the skin of the Utes? Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Just a small note; Gene Bassett's predictor ranking (which is where the 60-70% of winning comes from) actually has BYU as 10th. The #22 comes from his earned rank system.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
Indy would be the first to tell you his model isn't as good a predictor as these other models.
Predictor of what? Odds of winning and losing?

I wouldn't be the first to say that, simply because I've never really looked at other models and their predictive accuracy. Furthermore, I have ignored the first 2/3 of the season as far as PED Differential predictive accuracy goes, simply because I don't believe there is enough statistical credibility until that far into the season, but I haven't really tested that supposition either.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default correction

Quote:
Bassett's model is one of many models you can find at http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

He apparently has BYU with a 60-70% chance of winning.

My model has BYU #19, Utah #54 and a 74% chance to win.

Vegas has a wider MOV than I do, and I'm not sure about their chance to win, but probably greater than my 74%. I'd take Vegas if I had to choose between the different opinions.

Indy's PED Model has BYU #1 and not sure about Utah. Indy would be the first to tell you his model isn't as good a predictor as these other models. It's valuable in the sense that it shows how important pass effiency is.
FWIW, on the page I linked it says BYU #10 , Utah #30. That Massey chart may be out of date.

Suffice to say, the 91% is a bit out in left field.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I got under the skin of the Utes? Link?
Hyrum's a Ute.

I'm sure they're not thrilled about Harmon's article and scrambling for counter evidence, like Hyrum is.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Let me just throw in the comment that the reason why pass efficiency and all of its derivatives are so effective in quantifying performance is because it is a composite of several aspects of a team's play and can be used to quantify both sides of the ball.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Predictor of what? Odds of winning and losing?

I wouldn't be the first to say that, simply because I've never really looked at other models and their predictive accuracy. Furthermore, I have ignored the first 2/3 of the season as far as PED Differential predictive accuracy goes, simply because I don't believe there is enough statistical credibility until that far into the season, but I haven't really tested that supposition either.

Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth, but I didn't think you really believed BYU was #1 team in nation, Hawaii #3, or Pitt #6. Your model does well to show the importance of PED, but as a model, I wouldn't think you would take it over the models at http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm .
Old 11-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
FWIW, on the page I linked it says BYU #10 , Utah #30. That Massey chart may be out of date.

Suffice to say, the 91% is a bit out in left field.
Maybe it is out in left field, but a sample size of 520 games of similar PED Differentials (e.g. ranging from 50 to 75) from a population of nearly 3,300 games should show I'm not completely grasping at straws here either. This includes both home and road games, so the variance in the probability of a road win can't be that much lower than the overall probability.

Additionally, the PED Differential of 70 points between BYU and Utah would place BYU at the top of that grouped bracket, so their odds would actually be slightly higher than 91.7%.