cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why it's good for the dems to win the House

1. They will be forced to stop complaining and actually try to come up with something. They will likely fail.

2. This will allow the GOP to shed it's crappy leadership. The wagons will be circled, and hopefully the Reagan Republicans will take the party over. The GOP can get its message together and come back in the next election.

I wonder if Newt will make a comeback. You know he is itching to do so. It will be interesting to see how he tries to maneuver. He was the brains behind the GOP making historic gains in 1994. Frist and Hastert inspire no one.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post, Mike. I could see this happening if the Reagan Republicans are able to overcome the idiots on the fringe.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am actually quite optimistic about the Democrats coming into power. As I noted with the Republicans in a thread here a while back, losing can be very good for a party. It forces them to reevaluate who they are and what is important. That debate has resulted in many moderate Democrats running (and winning) in this election. Republicans may also wind up changing as a result of this election as well.

The tough part for Republicans will be that they still have Bush in power. They will be put in some awkward positions in the near future with not wanting to agree with Bush (because he is wildly unpopular) but not wanting to concede anything to the Dems either. Even a 50-50 Senate will result in a lot of Democratic "wins" there as a few Republicans defect to posture for 2008 (as Senate candidates or Presidential candidates).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:52 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Given who the Dem chairs will be in the House, I am expecting the Dems to shoot themselves in the foot. Many times. And I expect that the caucus will be united at first, but then unravel after the first year, as the moderates chafe against the far-left leadership.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Given who the Dem chairs will be in the House, I am expecting the Dems to shoot themselves in the foot. Many times. And I expect that the caucus will be united at first, but then unravel after the first year, as the moderates chafe against the far-left leadership.
I don't think the leadership is as far left as it is portrayed. They will want to look like a moderate party, and I expect a move back to the center. If Pelosi is to have any effective leadership with this Congress, she will have to lead from the middle.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I don't think the leadership is as far left as it is portrayed. They will want to look like a moderate party, and I expect a move back to the center. If Pelosi is to have any effective leadership with this Congress, she will have to lead from the middle.
And that's the exact problem...they don't think they're as left as portrayed...when in fact they really are and then some.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
And that's the exact problem...they don't think they're as left as portrayed...when in fact they really are and then some.
So Sean Hannity would have us all believe.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Pelosi is incapable of being anything but a far left extremist. There is no way she or the other Dems will want to do anything but push their agenda as far as they can.

This is turning out to be a sad day for Americans who like to keep as much of their paycheck as possible.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What is moderate about the Dems?

Name a tax they don't love.

Name an environmental regulation they don't love.

Name a gay rights agenda they don't promote.

Name any business friendly item promoted by the Dems. I can't think of one, ever.

Name any increased business regulation the Dems haven't promoted.

Name any, non-minority related, business stimulus engendered by Dems.

There is nothing moderate about the leadership. Dems are just anti-Reps, buying votes by striking at business. That's my beef with Dems, is their anti-capitalistic nature.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Pelosi is incapable of being anything but a far left extremist. There is no way she or the other Dems will want to do anything but push their agenda as far as they can.

This is turning out to be a sad day for Americans who like to keep as much of their paycheck as possible.
I don't look at wha any politician says publicly, as that's just rhetoric. But if you track legislation, you can find the Dems are traditionally anti-small business, but they usually, like any other whore, give large national and transnational businesses a pass.

Democratic policy is just a slimey whore of a different mother, father unknown.