cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The purpose of the no coffee rule

Has anyone expounded on why coffee is disallowed? I've heard some theorize that it's the tannic acids that are bad for your system; others say it's a matter of avoiding addictive substances...which raises the pepsi argument, and the observation that many general authorities appear to love their chocolates.

So the core of my question is, would it be improper to get a latte at Starbucks, but proper to buy their:

a) kona brownies
b) coffee ice cream
c) chocolate-covered espresso beans

??
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Has anyone expounded on why coffee is disallowed? I've heard some theorize that it's the tannic acids that are bad for your system; others say it's a matter of avoiding addictive substances...which raises the pepsi argument, and the observation that many general authorities appear to love their chocolates.

So the core of my question is, would it be improper to get a latte at Starbucks, but proper to buy their:

a) kona brownies
b) coffee ice cream

??
Arbitrary and capricious. Your example is a good illustratation. BTW, the listed items are all made with real coffee. I'm shocked at how much you know about coffee flavored confections.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

a) kona brownies
b) coffee ice cream

??

I've heard it explained that coffee and tea are different than cola drinks in that they are "hot drinks", so just get your Starbucks latte iced.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I've heard it explained that coffee and tea are different than cola drinks in that they are "hot drinks", so just get your Starbucks latte iced.
Which means coffee flavored confections are okay. Hot chocolate and spiced cider are hot drinks. So is herbal tea. Stay away from those.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to be like one of those people who doesn't understand there is a fundamental purpose behind the "no R movies" rule, as they go out and watch a crass show that narrowly made the MPA's PG-13 cut, and then say, "hey it wasn't R, so I did nothing wrong."

If the coffee problem is rooted in the beans, then I'll stay away from those damn tasty brownies and everything with ground beans. But if the problem isn't chemically activated until hot substances or added, or whatever it is, I'd like to know. What is the policy that the doctrine stems from.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Which means coffee flavored confections are okay. Hot chocolate and spiced cider are hot drinks. So is herbal tea. Stay away from those.
Why does everything you write sound to me like Jim Carrey in the Grinch waiting for the echo to come back...."you're an idiot!"
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I drink caffeine...not too much, and I've been cutting back.

I think I do better without caffeine, feel healthier.

And I also believe that there are significant health risks associated with caffeine that are yet to be discovered, or yet to be made widely knowledgeable.

I'll just leave it at that. He who can hear, let him hear.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

What I find odd is how little clarification the Church has given concerning the WoW -- several gray areas still persist. Since WoW observance is important enough to determine your temple worthiness, you'd think the church would be anxious to precisely deliniate what is and what is not acceptable.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey don't knock the grey areas. I make my living from them and live in them. Don't knock them until you try them.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #10
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hey don't knock the grey areas. I make my living from them and live in them. Don't knock them until you try them.
Hey, I've tried the gray areas. I feel right at home there. In fact, I'm always a little suspicious if an area is either too black or too white.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote