cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default This is incredibly disappointing and discouraging

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/12/D8KN6GSO0.html

He is exactly the kind of person the Democrats need right now. He would have been fantastic and, if not nominated, at least could have helped form the debate. My optimism that the Democrats will field a great candidate has just waned a bit.

This really is a shame.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post

He is exactly the kind of person the Democrats need right now. He would have been fantastic and, if not nominated, at least could have helped form the debate. My optimism that the Democrats will field a great candidate has just waned a bit.

This really is a shame.
He seems like a good guy. It is perhaops a further example of why the type of people we would like to be in charge aren't.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
He seems like a good guy. It is perhaops a further example of why the type of people we would like to be in charge aren't.
No question the media scrutiny is intense (remember the "outrage" over Bush I not liking spinach?).

It is too bad. I think he is exactly what the party and country needed in 2008. Colin Powell is another person who opted out for similar reasons but could have been a great leader.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This really is a shame.
What shoe is about to drop, I wonder.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
What a cynic!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
LOL. I thought the same thing. I like Governor Warner. He's a baller too. He hooped it up at the YMCA in Spotsylvania when it opened.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

There goes the guy that would have been easiest to elect from the Democrats, and the best demonstration of what the Democratic party ought to be. (that is unless that shoe that UD is waiting to drop, drops, then I will disavow all knowledge of this post)

This is a horrible, black development for the Democratic party and the United States.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This really is a shame.
IMO, this it the Democrat Party's biggest problem right now. The people that would actually be good don't want to run. That's why they're left with people like Mrs. Clinton.

I wonder if a part of the reason that Warner decided to not run is that the fringe Demos are the most vocal and don't seem interested in having a guy like Warner run for office. They seem to only be interested in supporting those as far to the left as they are. Look what they did to Lieberman. Warner may have felt that he might get the same treatment.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #9
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
IMO, this it the Democrat Party's biggest problem right now. The people that would actually be good don't want to run. That's why they're left with people like Mrs. Clinton.

I wonder if a part of the reason that Warner decided to not run is that the fringe Demos are the most vocal and don't seem interested in having a guy like Warner run for office. They seem to only be interested in supporting those as far to the left as they are. Look what they did to Lieberman. Warner may have felt that he might get the same treatment.
Why do people keep saying, "look at what they did to Lieberman?" The voters in the primary in Connecticut voted for someone else. That isn't shocking given his cozying up to Bush. Warner is not the same as Lieberman. He is moderate, but not nearly the war hawk Lieberman is. He would have done quite well in the primary, I think. I was hoping for another Clinton-style campaign.

Fringe people in both parties are the most vocal, and neither are interested in having a moderate run for president. Republicans are no exception (which is why neither McCain nor Giuliani will be nominated). I don't think the fringe of either party represents what most of America wants, but they can control what America gets because most Americans won't participate in the primary process. We have only ourselves to blame. We have surrendered control of the most significant part of the election.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why do people keep saying, "look at what they did to Lieberman?" The voters in the primary in Connecticut voted for someone else. That isn't shocking given his cozying up to Bush. Warner is not the same as Lieberman. He is moderate, but not nearly the war hawk Lieberman is. He would have done quite well in the primary, I think. I was hoping for another Clinton-style campaign.

Fringe people in both parties are the most vocal, and neither are interested in having a moderate run for president. Republicans are no exception (which is why neither McCain nor Giuliani will be nominated). I don't think the fringe of either party represents what most of America wants, but they can control what America gets because most Americans won't participate in the primary process. We have only ourselves to blame. We have surrendered control of the most significant part of the election.
I am not convinced that the Democrat party is capable of nominating a centrist. We will see.