cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hastert vs. Gingrich

I find it ironic that in 1983, a young congressman took the lead in demanding more severe punishment for the congressmen that had had sexual relationships with pages.

Of course that person would later lead the "Republican Revolution" in an attempt to curb corruption in Congress.

Of course, that man was Newt Gingrich.

We fast forward to 2006, and it is the man who occupies Gingrich's former post, who at the very least is guilty of moral laxness, in not further pursing Foley. The very sort of thing that occurred prior to 1983.

And now, as if Shakespeare himself were writing history, Gingrich is poised to attack the gates once again. To rescue the Republicans from themselves.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I find it ironic that in 1983, a young congressman took the lead in demanding more severe punishment for the congressmen that had had sexual relationships with pages.

Of course that person would later lead the "Republican Revolution" in an attempt to curb corruption in Congress.

Of course, that man was Newt Gingrich.

We fast forward to 2006, and it is the man who occupies Gingrich's former post, who at the very least is guilty of moral laxness, in not further pursing Foley. The very sort of thing that occurred prior to 1983.

And now, as if Shakespeare himself were writing history, Gingrich is poised to attack the gates once again. To rescue the Republicans from themselves.
I read the quotes from my congressman Cannon. Made me sick. I remembered why I avoid politics.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Cannon is such a joke.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4456550

He makes Utah look worse than it already is. There must be many decent men and women in Utah that could do 100x the job.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Cannon is such a joke.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4456550

He makes Utah look worse than it already is. There must be many decent men and women in Utah that could do 100x the job.
What job is that?

We have Foley, Hastert, Clinton, Kennedy, Pelosi and who's the gal that punched out security?

What do we expect from politicos? Your expectations are much too high. Set the expectations in the dung heap, and you'll never be surprised or disappointed.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Chris Cannon makes me look like a liberal. That's saying something.

The guy is an embarrassment to Utah and to politics in general. He's a Republican version of Howard Dean...
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Chris Cannon makes me look like a liberal. That's saying something.

The guy is an embarrassment to Utah and to politics in general. He's a Republican version of Howard Dean...
Does he embarrass Utah, or does Utah embarrass themselves by continuing to reelect him? Utahns know who and what he is, and they vote for it every election cycle.

Did you vote for him Rocky?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Does he embarrass Utah, or does Utah embarrass themselves by continuing to reelect him? Utahns know who and what he is, and they vote for it every election cycle.

No, I did not vote for him.

Blame Utah County voters, since that's who votes for him. I live in Salt Lake.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

is Cannon out of step with Utah County, or a fairly accurate representation?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post

The problem is that the odds are so long here in Utah County that the only real opposition is in the primaries. Rarely do we get a democratic candidate who is a serious challenger either in terms of capability or funding. Thus, guys like Canon can get elected and do whatever they want with little fear of retribution. Such are the perils of one-part dominance.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The problem is that the odds are so long here in Utah County that the only real opposition is in the primaries. Rarely do we get a democratic candidate who is a serious challenger either in terms of capability or funding. Thus, guys like Canon can get elected and do whatever they want with little fear of retribution. Such are the perils of one-part dominance.
I agree with the perils of one party dominance. I was referring more to the primaries than the general election, since there is NO chance a Democrat comes out of that district. I understand he has a huge amount of money and backing from the party, but you would think that, as bad as he is, voters would have been attracted to somebody, anybody, else in the primary.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote