cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My love/hate relationship with psychology

I love my job, and there are a lot of things to like about being in the field of psychology.

However, our science is not one of these. I'm one of those who often thinks we'd be better served in psychology by just going back to our roots in philosophy and religion instead of wasting grant money on research that produces the following findings (note, these are actual headlines taken from a recent APA publication, although thankfully not a journal--those are much longer titles ):

Lack of meaning may spur some to dislike modern art
Longer train commutes are more stressful, study finds
The directionally challenged lack an internal compass
Optimists have longer, more satisfying relationships, study suggests

I particularly like the 3rd one. I now plan to develop and market an "Internal Compass" assessment tool, and will lobby that Directionally Challenged Disorder be included in the next iteration of the DSM. Don't laugh, it's an illness people.

Last edited by OhioBlue; 09-20-2006 at 05:47 PM.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

LOL. Excellent.

Look on the bright side: shouldn't be too tough to come up with ideas for research.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you follow the "Mormon thing" with the APA a few years ago?

My brother is a psychologist (he's doing substance abuse and domestic violence counseling on a Navajo reservation to pay off his loans) and he and I have had a few conversations about it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
Did you follow the "Mormon thing" with the APA a few years ago?

My brother is a psychologist (he's doing substance abuse and domestic violence counseling on a Navajo reservation to pay off his loans) and he and I have had a few conversations about it.
Which Mormon thing? There've been a few, and not all negative. You might be referring to the flap created when at the convention one of the presentations was essentially an anti film, presented under the guises of teaching people about the brainwashing techniques used by the LDS church. Actually, IIRC, the video itself wasn't bad, it was the blurb writeup by its presenter in the APA convention program.

To its credit, the APA ended up flying people out to Utah for conversations and what amounted to apologies. As much as I don't like how liberal my profession is at times, I will at least give them props on their consistency. Heck, even the U of U got dinged by the APA because they weren't hiring any Mormons. Never thought I'd see that happen.

Also, fairly recently one of the higher ups wrote a very good piece about psychology in Utah, the divide and battle between LDS and non-LDS professionals, and mentioned his dismay that people aren't flocking to BYU's training program due to its quality and the quality of the counseling center there (it really is virtually unmatched).

So there's been bad and good, but lately I gotta say mostly good.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
Which Mormon thing? There've been a few, and not all negative. You might be referring to the flap created when at the convention one of the presentations was essentially an anti film, presented under the guises of teaching people about the brainwashing techniques used by the LDS church. Actually, IIRC, the video itself wasn't bad, it was the blurb writeup by its presenter in the APA convention program.

To its credit, the APA ended up flying people out to Utah for conversations and what amounted to apologies. As much as I don't like how liberal my profession is at times, I will at least give them props on their consistency. Heck, even the U of U got dinged by the APA because they weren't hiring any Mormons. Never thought I'd see that happen.

Also, fairly recently one of the higher ups wrote a very good piece about psychology in Utah, the divide and battle between LDS and non-LDS professionals, and mentioned his dismay that people aren't flocking to BYU's training program due to its quality and the quality of the counseling center there (it really is virtually unmatched).

So there's been bad and good, but lately I gotta say mostly good.
I was referring to the blurb. I'm glad the APA has taken measures to straighten things out. As to the U of U, their bias against Mormons in my field is well known. It's kind of stunning that a University would have a bias against the culture of many people who attend it, not totally different in that regard from say, if the University of California at San Diego didn't want to employ any hispanics as professors.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
I was referring to the blurb. I'm glad the APA has taken measures to straighten things out. As to the U of U, their bias against Mormons in my field is well known. It's kind of stunning that a University would have a bias against the culture of many people who attend it, not totally different in that regard from say, if the University of California at San Diego didn't want to employ any hispanics as professors.
Exactly. Which is exactly what the APA said.

"Sooooo...you have a campus with a large percentage of LDS students. Right? Mmm-hmmm. Sooooo, uhhhh, then why don't you run on out and hire yourselves some LDS therapists then, Mmmm-kaaay?? Good, then."