cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forza Italia!!!!

See IPU, I did learn something.

Great match last night! We were whooping it up after they finally scored.

Due to family ties, Italy is our team. In fact, when the U.S. played Italy, I was the only U.S. supporter among the family. By the end of the game, my eldest son had come over to the U.S. side, but the rest stayed firm with Italy. I don't know what it is about Italians, but they maintain very strong bonds to the motherland down through the generations. My wife's sister is in town with her three kids, as well as my Mother in Law (who speaks 90% Napolitan), so it has enhanced the "we're Italians" feeling around here. It's also made dinner a delight. Have you ever had escarole and beans? Simply divine.

Tonight we will be pulling for France, if for no other reason than to hear the simultaneous cheer that erupts across the town (and by extension, the country) every time France scores, and the spontaneous celebration that ensues after a win. It's pretty darn cool. I don't think we have anything that can compare on a national level in the U.S.

Tour de France during the day and World Cup at night. This is a good day.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

France is a downright joy to watch play. They have gotten progressively better throughout the tournament.

They play pretty ball with zz in the middle, and they are also able to play physical and tough.

It's a real treat to watch, even though I am still sick about the Brasil loss, and even though if Brasil would have played for 20 mins like they did the last 10 they would have scored at least twice, I am still happy for the French team.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
France is a downright joy to watch play. They have gotten progressively better throughout the tournament.

They play pretty ball with zz in the middle, and they are also able to play physical and tough.

It's a real treat to watch, even though I am still sick about the Brasil loss, and even though if Brasil would have played for 20 mins like they did the last 10 they would have scored at least twice, I am still happy for the French team.
Agreed, that French team was a 1,000 light years from the team I saw play a friendly against China on the eve of the Cup. It was 0-0 at 88 minutes and I turned it off (France looked absolutely pathetic). I was surprised to find out the next day that they won 2-0; something strange must have happened that last 2 minutes.

Yes, France's play against Brazil was inspired, almost beautiful; I think the best I've seen so far this World Cup (Argentina had some moments in group play). zz was phenomenal. We'll see if they can replicate that tonight. I'm getting the fireworks out to join the celebration.

Vive la France!

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't underestimate Portugal.

Their midfield should not be a pushover of Zidane.

It will be an interesting match with Deco returning.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Si, Forza Italia! That Italy/Germany match was a fun one to see.

You're correct, the Italians are very loyal to their country, even if they're no longer living there or have never lived there. It's not just the Italian people themselves - I've yet to meet a missionary that served in Italy that doesn't have very strong ties to the country. My guess is that it's the Italian people themselves who draw us into thinking that outside the US, there isn't a better place on the planet. You're married to an Italian - you know what I'm saying.

I find it amazing that the US was probably Italy's toughest opponent in the Cup this year. The US is the only team to have scored against the Azurri (ok, it was an Italian who put the ball into the net, but still...) - quite an acomplishment compared to the compitition they've faced in the last two rounds.

It's been 24 years since the Italians won the Cup - I believe this is the year.

Forza Italia!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

No, not THAT football.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Si, Forza Italia! That Italy/Germany match was a fun one to see.

You're correct, the Italians are very loyal to their country, even if they're no longer living there or have never lived there. It's not just the Italian people themselves - I've yet to meet a missionary that served in Italy that doesn't have very strong ties to the country. My guess is that it's the Italian people themselves who draw us into thinking that outside the US, there isn't a better place on the planet. You're married to an Italian - you know what I'm saying.

I find it amazing that the US was probably Italy's toughest opponent in the Cup this year. The US is the only team to have scored against the Azurri (ok, it was an Italian who put the ball into the net, but still...) - quite an acomplishment compared to the compitition they've faced in the last two rounds.

It's been 24 years since the Italians won the Cup - I believe this is the year.

Forza Italia!

I like pizza.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
I like pizza.
Yes, pizza is good. Especially with sliced boiled eggs, peas and artichoke leaves.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #9
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Yes, pizza is good. Especially with sliced boiled eggs, peas and artichoke leaves.

Yikes. That would shoot out of me at the speed of light.

Do you really like pizza with those topping on it? I'm a supreme-thin crust man myself.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

It's actually quite good. The first time I ever had it was in a little Pizzeria in Palermo, my first mission city. I thought it was a bit odd to have those toppings, but Italians also scoff at the idea of putting pineapple on pizza.

Thin crust is good.

The best pizza is that which is baked in a brick oven with fire. IT matters not the crust or toppings, because something about fire makes it all taste great.