cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The bowl system sucks

I have not watched a single bowl game on TV this year. The closest I came was fast-forwarding through the BYU game to see if I was on TV.

I don't plan to break my streak tonight with the BCS mythical NC game.

If there was actually a playoff system, I have a hard time imagining not watching at least a few games. I'm sure there are many that are in the same boat as me.

Or maybe it's just me. And I'm getting old and wise, dumping the follies of youth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

Besides the AF bowl, I have only seen a few minutes of the cotton bowl and a little of the rose bowl.

The bowl games have lacked appeal more this year than in the past. Maybe it is my disgust over the LSU-Bama rematch.

Even if a playoff doesn't come something has to be done.

On a side note, I recently figured out why bowls have become this way (no, I haven't spent days and weeks worrying about it looking for an answer). ESPN woke up and realized one day that whatever programming they had on in late December and early January was not getting any ratings because all anyone cared about was bowl games and NFL playoffs.

So ESPN went out and created a bunch of extra bowls and finally bought the rights for the BCS games. Maybe the ratings aren't as high for BCS games now that they are on cable, but at least they are higher than what ESPN was showing before, and that means more advertising $$$.
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the Rose Bowl from start to finish, and that was the only one. Utah's was not at a convenient time, and I have other plans tonight.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

going out with that girl with all the shoes?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

No I ended up not going out with her. This is someone else.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Looks like I am not the only one.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...ll-playoff.ece

Quote:
The college bowl ratings were bad. The BCS championship game was the lowest-rated ever and an artistic nightmare (not that Butler-Connecticut last spring was the greatest basketball game ever played).
The five BCS bowl games were down 16 percent in TV ratings. This is what happens when you give people West Virginia vs. Clemson and call it the Orange Bowl. Doesn’t even matter that one team (the Mountaineers) shatters bowl records with 70 points.
Neither was a top 10 team going into the bowls. The same was true of Michigan and Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.
Overall, the bowls were down 15 percent in TV ratings. Falling ratings can be a product of many things, but it’s entirely possible that most of the sports world — even the avid fans who will watch nearly anything — believe that 35 bowl games is a bit excessive.
Was a game to determine the bragging rights between 6-6 Illinois and 6-7 UCLA absolutely necessary?