cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is a great day for BYU fans

It marks the beginning of the end of our interaction with Ute fans.

Little brother finally moved away, found a job, and is starting his own family.

No more stupid "Holy War" games. All that fake outrage crap of that faux rivalry is dissolving away.

All these Ute fans will slink away to boards of their replacement rivals, whoever that might be. Washington State. Colorado.

It's like having a giant blood-sucking tick removed from your ass. Sit down and relax friend, we are free of these maggots once and for all! FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops. Edited.

You seem like a good guy.

Last edited by ute4ever; 06-16-2010 at 08:32 PM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

utes - thumbs down.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 06-17-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It marks the beginning of the end of our interaction with Ute fans.

Little brother finally moved away, found a job, and is starting his own family.

No more stupid "Holy War" games. All that fake outrage crap of that faux rivalry is dissolving away.

All these Ute fans will slink away to boards of their replacement rivals, whoever that might be. Washington State. Colorado.

It's like having a giant blood-sucking tick removed from your ass. Sit down and relax friend, we are free of these maggots once and for all! FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST!
Not trying to be mean here, just honest. I think disassociation from BYU and getting into a club with Cal and Stanford was a great leap forward for Utah. It will change perceptions everywhere. Applications will improve. You'll even see a brain drain from BYU.

One benefit for the LDS Church members is all the talk about why Utah and not BYU to the Pac 10. It's almost as good as an honest reckoning with history. Will "religious bigotry" satisfy members who ask "why Utah and not BYU?"

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

"Applications will improve."

Not hard to imagine, given how terrible they are. I mean, can it get worse?

Utah is epochs away from BYU in quality of students admitted.

State schools are limited by the states they reside in. It Utah is dumb it's because either 1) kids in Utah are dumb, or 2) the best kids in Utah don't choose to go to Utah.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
1) kids in Utah are dumb, or 2) the best kids in Utah don't choose to go to Utah.
The funny thing about this is over 98% of BYU students are Mormons and certainly the vast majority are from Utah.

My point is that now Utah will attract more kids in Utah as well as out of state now. This is a bigger blow to BYU than it is to TCU because of the pretense and delusion of superiority such as you're articulating right here (BYU may be a private school but it admits over 60% of applicants, and the intellectual life is limited). BYU wasn't attractive to the Pac 10 and Utah was because of academics. Word will get around. There is an emperor has no clothes effect; in fact, it's devastating because the things I've been saying critiquing BYU will now become widely known. BYU is an anacronism. Being in the Pac 10 will also make Utah the cooler school to 18 year olds.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

you are delusional.

washington state and arizona state are real academic powerhouses, aren't they?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
you are delusional.

washington state and arizona state are real academic powerhouses, aren't they?
There isn't enough difference between BYU and those schools in terms of college rankings to matter. Of course the Pac schools do research and approach scholarship with integrity.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I saw something recently that BYU ranks #10 nationally in number of students who go on to get doctorates.

It's not what conference you are in that matters. It's what your graduates do with their lives.

And BYU has a really nice reputation for top-notch bright kids.

I'm not saying Utah is terrible, but it has no national presence. The med school? The law school? No. It's a regional university, much like a Washington State, Oregon State, Arizona State. Except it is in a metro area, and is a commuter school. Unlike some of those schools that are situated in college towns.

The 20% increase in the Athletic Dept's budget will be sucked up by travel and increased costs (i.e. higher salaries for coaches).

Good chance Kyle will take a job elsewhere. Things rise and fall. Utah will find itself mid-pack, devoid of its traditional rivals. And that will be that. Life goes on.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I still can't believe this happened in the same year that BYU went all the way to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. What was Larry Craig smoking? All of those Jimmer babies will be born with BYU in the same conference as Boise State.

Last edited by ute4ever; 06-19-2010 at 04:19 AM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote