cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urban is easy to hate

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recru...fclassrankings

Arrogant SOB. Curse Florida.

No TCU, no Boise, no BYU, no Utah, yet those teams continue their royal asses a good percentage of the time. That's called coaching up, whereas you royal whiners are coaching down.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I don't get too into the recruiting stuff, so I confess ignorance here. There's two analyses I'd like to see:

- Comparison of recruiting classes to top 25 finishes: how accurate a predictor are they for a team's next season? next 2-3 seasons?
- Comparison of the top 50 recruits against NFL draft picks for the year they turn pro. Alternatively, a comparison of where each player statistically ranks against others in his position.

Not saying that recruiting doesn't matter, but it seems all this brouhaha over recruiting classes is VERY artificial. Moreso even than the BCS.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't get too into the recruiting stuff, so I confess ignorance here. There's two analyses I'd like to see:

- Comparison of recruiting classes to top 25 finishes: how accurate a predictor are they for a team's next season? next 2-3 seasons?
- Comparison of the top 50 recruits against NFL draft picks for the year they turn pro. Alternatively, a comparison of where each player statistically ranks against others in his position.

Not saying that recruiting doesn't matter, but it seems all this brouhaha over recruiting classes is VERY artificial. Moreso even than the BCS.
Indy can answer some of those questions.

My take is that it's difficult to evaluate the recruiting efforts very well. The most important aspect is filling your gaps with available athletes wanting to play on your team.

BYU may have come up short a bit by missing out on two Dline guys who went elsewhere and by not locating sufficient safety help. And BYU reached on a couple of the local Utah players when it might have been better served to reach on kids with more speed. I don't see the difference between reaching on a local kid who doesn't play to reaching on a kid with speed who might leave. It seems you're left with the same effect and the local kid has less upside. And I mean the lowly recruited local kid, not the Bronson Kaufusis or Heimulis.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A&M has always recruited well. But look at the product on the field.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote