cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU recruiting class best among all non-BCS

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...e-non-aqs-best

I love pulling the scholarship offer to Schwenke. I think it is the right policy. When you make a commitment, you keep your commitment. When you waver (and that is within your rights), we can no longer hold your spot, because we can't be left holding the bag at the end.

I don't have a problem with Schwenke re-committing at the end, if there is an available scholie. But he shouldn't bank on that. Sounds like he wants to go to those other schools anyway. Hope they have a spot for him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't followed the saga but I don't get being a big football star and what it's like to be wined and dined by the big boys. With Schwenke's lineage loving BYU, it seems odd he wavered.

OTOH, I don't have a problem with a coach laying down the law a little bit.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I like Utah's better. BYU is rated so highly because it has 29 commits. It's only legal to sign 25! A bunch of those guys are going on missions asap. Utah has only 19 now, about what USC and most other major schools have. (It will get into the low 20's on signing day.) The rankings are based on gross points without adjustment for numbers. Utah's average rating is higher. Utah has ONE two star, BYU has a bunch. They have the same number of three stars and Utah has one less four star, but it has three four stars who have Utah on very short lists.

BYU has 2-3 big names. Utah overall will be a better class. It has two quarterbacks better than any qb Utah has ever recruited, one a combo, the other a pro-style. It has half a dozen players who rejected teams like Nebraska to come to Utah. Last week a guy decommitted from Illinois to Utah who was pursued by Nebraska and other big names. BYU has Apo, but Utah has three highly rated recieviers, two of them four stars; a third one is rated even higher by ESPN. The Utes just got a fine WR from Utah, and they have baby Kruger. Utah has bagged a big haul out of Texas and California.

Of course Bronco doesn't have nearly Whit's stroke in the real world nationwide. He gets the mamas to commit the kids in middle school, like medieval marriages.

Don't believe all the propaganda on Cougarboard. Plus, Scout is a BYU shill.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-02-2010 at 04:53 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...e-non-aqs-best

I love pulling the scholarship offer to Schwenke. I think it is the right policy. When you make a commitment, you keep your commitment. When you waver (and that is within your rights), we can no longer hold your spot, because we can't be left holding the bag at the end.

I don't have a problem with Schwenke re-committing at the end, if there is an available scholie. But he shouldn't bank on that. Sounds like he wants to go to those other schools anyway. Hope they have a spot for him.
You keep a commitment even if you were 16 when you made it and the rules say you don't have to? BYU gets a kid like this maybe every five years. BYU isn't Florida. If you get the commit when he's a child don't be surprised if he gets curious as time winds down. Bronco blew it, or, he's spinning, knowing he'd lost the commit.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I like Utah's better. BYU is rated so highly because it has 29 commits. It's only legal to sign 25! A bunch of those guys are going on missions asap. Utah has only 19 now, about what USC and most other major schools have. (It will get into the low 20's on signing day.) The rankings are based on gross points without adjustment for numbers. Utah's average rating is higher. Utah has ONE two star, BYU has a bunch. They have the same number of three stars and Utah has one less four star, but it has three four stars who have Utah on very short lists.

BYU has 2-3 big names. Utah overall will be a better class. It has two quarterbacks better than any qb Utah has ever recruited, one a combo, the other a pro-style. It has half a dozen players who rejected teams like Nebraska to come to Utah. Last week a guy decommitted from Illinois to Utah who was pursued by Nebraska and other big names. BYU has Apo, but Utah has three highly rated recieviers, two of them four stars; a third one is rated even higher by ESPN. The Utes just got a fine WR from Utah, and they have baby Kruger. Utah has bagged a big haul out of Texas and California.

Of course Bronco doesn't have nearly Whit's stroke in the real world nationwide. He gets the mamas to commit the kids in middle school, like medieval marriages.

Don't believe all the propaganda on Cougarboard. Plus, Scout is a BYU shill.
Sometimes I wonder what the world would look like if all I saw was red. Then I read your posts and get a good idea of it.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

on the character side, BYU recruits have blown out the Ute recruits. Star average is double.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You keep a commitment even if you were 16 when you made it and the rules say you don't have to? BYU gets a kid like this maybe every five years. BYU isn't Florida. If you get the commit when he's a child don't be surprised if he gets curious as time winds down. Bronco blew it, or, he's spinning, knowing he'd lost the commit.
On other sites, your trolling works, but this is pretty tame fishing.

As for me, I'd say a school like BYU or Utah needs to rate their recruiting by availability and needs. What were BYU's needs? What was reasonably available to BYU? If BYU fulfilled those needs with what was reasonably available then it was successful. Same for Utah. I don't know Utah's recruiting unlike somebody like Junkie.

I'd say BYU did as well as can be expected. It recruits primarily from the LDS pool with some nice supplements elsewhere such as the Alabama kid or Zac Stout.

BYU always needs to upgrade speed and really needs CB upgrades, as well as replacing skill players. We'll see how well it did.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
SeattleUte

If the expected letter from Cullen (four stars, reports are he's picked the Utes over USC) Utes win the MWC. Even so, it's a dead heat with BYU though Utah has only 19 signees and BYU has 27!

http://utah.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?...sType=0&Sort=0

—Paul Auster
Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

congrats Utes on your 61st ranked recruiting class.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

Maybe the addition of Cullen, whoever that is (jock-sniffers know), maybe you can jump to 21st, and thus pass BYU.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
congrats Utes on your 61st ranked recruiting class.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

Maybe the addition of Cullen, whoever that is (jock-sniffers know), maybe you can jump to 21st, and thus pass BYU.
scout lol. What a whore. Do you really believe TCU is no. 65? Hot lunch contends that TCU has the best class.

I'm not surprised an organization called Scout is a BYU front and shill. I bet it hates women and gays.

—Paul Auster