cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Last Statements of the Dead

A companion to Mike's post on the teacher who died. Here are the last statements of people Texas has executed. 443 since 1982; 20 this year; 1 this month.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Date of Execution: March 13, 1985
Offender: Stephen Peter Morin #712
Last Statement: Heavenly Father, I give thanks for this time, for the time that we have been together, the fellowship in your world, the Christian family presented to me (He called the names of the personal witnesses.). Allow your holy spirit to flow as I know your love as been showered upon me. Forgive them for they know not what they do, as I know that you have forgiven me, as I have forgiven them. Lord Jesus, I commit my soul to you, I praise you, and I thank you.

. . . .

Date of Execution: November 5, 2009
Offender: Oliver, Khristian
Last Statement: Collins family, I know your not going to get the closure you are looking for tonight. I wish you the best. I prayed for ya'll every day and every night. I have only the warmest wishes. I am sorry for what you are having to go through. Mom, Pa, Kristy, Khristopher, Tony I love all ya'll. Thank you Mr. Whiteside.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul; He guides me down the right paths. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup over runneth.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

What's up with Bexar and Tarrant counties? Seems like a large % of the Texas death sentences were handed down in those counties.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Bexar is San Antonio. Tarrant is Fort Worth. I would guess the most come from Harris County, which is Houston.

Guy who killed the sister in my ward only got 40 years. He will be young enough to terrorize his children when he is released.

I don't mean to be too insensitive to these murderers, but this reminds me of what I recently heard on a message board. Someon asked "What does Allahuah Akbar mean?" Someone else replied "Two to the chest, one to the head."

I am also reminded of one of my favorite movie quotes "The only guilty man in Shawshank."

The prevalence of folks with anti-social personality disorder on death row is likely extraordinarily high. They don't consider other human beings the same way we do. They don't lay back in their bunks and feel bad for their victims. They lay in their bunks and feel bad for themselves. Does this describe every murderer on death row? No. Might some even be innocent? Perhaps.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote