cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default How did I miss the Brad Martin story?

I just read in the new SI that Brad Martin recently died from unknown causes. Do we know anything more than this? I feel like I'm totally out in the dark on this one.

He was a buddy of mine back at BYU. He and his wife were in my married student ward for about a year right after they got married. We lost contact after we moved and hadn't heard his name again until this afternoon.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Cause of death hasn't been determined - they're still waiting on toxicology results. Sounds like he'd had some hard times since his playing days with drugs, divorce, etc.

Anyway, I hope he's in a better place now. He was a great player and fun to watch.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Prescription drugs? Thats the impression I got from the SI article and the SL Trib article I just found.

Any idea how long ago he got divorced?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Venkman

yeah, I only know of the prescription drug problem. I read that he had been clean for a year. As far as the divorce, I don't know. I didn't even know he was married at one time until you mentioned it. His obituary didn't mention a wife or kids and he was living alone, so I'm assuming he got divorced at some point.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
yeah, I only know of the prescription drug problem. I read that he had been clean for a year. As far as the divorce, I don't know. I didn't even know he was married at one time until you mentioned it. His obituary didn't mention a wife or kids and he was living alone, so I'm assuming he got divorced at some point.
Zach on cougarboard is a friend of the family and had said that Brad had been married and divorced twice.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I would imagine it would be tough to stay married in an LDS type setting if you were constantly dealing with drug addiction and the mood swings that come with it. Especially as a football player.

I'm not saying he was physically abusive, just that, having played football on the defensive side, I would imagine that my feelings to randomly blindside tackle people are shared by others. Playing defense you need to have some sort of violent side to you...

I feel for him. I loved watching him as a player. Truely a sad story.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr
Zach on cougarboard is a friend of the family and had said that Brad had been married and divorced twice.
Brad's story is similar to Craig Garrick, the center on the 84 team. Great guy but got injured and became hooked on painkillers. It wreaked havoc on his personal life as well and eventually cost him his life. Very sad stuff.