cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIA and Pelosi

It's hard to imagine the Boy Scouts of America, er, I mean the CIA, ever lying to protect itself.

The CIA has no written documentation of the Pelosi meeting(s) to indicate she was told about waterboarding being conducted.

Now this Gingrich thing is over the top. In a decent country, Gingrich would have been taken into the street, blindfolded, and shot. Must we really suffer through listening to him in the future, now that he is a rehabilitated Catholic?

That man is despicable.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

So, do you believe Pelosi?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no reason to believe one over the other.

But it's clear most Republicans believe the CIA. Why? Because it is politically expedient.

A funny thing happens when you are interested in truth over expediency--you don't end up on the same side every single freaking time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

According to this there was a report issued mentions Pelosi was informed about enhanced interrogation. It points out that there were "dozens of other meetings with members of Congress -- though not with Pelosi present -- where the use of waterboarding and other interrogation techniques was described."

My question would be, where the hell was she? As Speaker, she should have been to those meetings, no?

Gingrich is correct. She's either lying or incompetent.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have no reason to believe one over the other.

But it's clear most Republicans believe the CIA. Why? Because it is politically expedient.

A funny thing happens when you are interested in truth over expediency--you don't end up on the same side every single freaking time.

Of course most Republicans believe the CIA. I'm guessing that most Democrats believe Pelosi. It's all about politics.

I freely admit that I believe the CIA, because I think Pelosi and her ilk are bad for the country.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Of course most Republicans believe the CIA. I'm guessing that most Democrats believe Pelosi. It's all about politics.

I freely admit that I believe the CIA, because I think Pelosi and her ilk are bad for the country.
I would guess you are totally wrong about Democrats. I, and those I know, have no problem whatsoever in demanding her resignation if it turns out she actually enabled torture to occur. I don't know if she did enable torture to occur, but I am most interested in finding out.

As for "briefings" where waterboarding techniques were described, I don't know what that means. The public has known the government was waterboarding for a long time now. I would assume the Congress also knew, since they only had to read a paper to find out. A briefing describing waterboarding isn't relevant to me. I want to know if they approved the technique behind closed doors.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote