cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Rep. Foxx, trying to take the Crazy Crown away from Bachmann...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennt...Foxx_says.html

Don't worry- it is just a myth. Ergo, no hate crime legislation is needed anywhere, whereas hate crime legislation would have been needed if it wasn't a myth. For Foxx, it really all comes down to just this one crime (if so, she could at least get it right).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Can I then assume you're a proponent? I ask because I am curious to know the rationale behind it from someone who is for it.

Or were you just using this as a way to take a potshot at republicans?
________
HOTASIANSEXY

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzzuri View Post
Can I then assume you're a proponent? I ask because I am curious to know the rationale behind it from someone who is for it.

Or were you just using this as a way to take a potshot at republicans?
I haven't read the bill, and I am not sure what one's position on this bill has to do with the wildly inappropriate remarks by Foxx. Are you familiar at all with what happened to Matthew Shephard? No matter how one feels about the bill, what she said reflected a tremendous amount of ignorance, insecurity, and insensitivity.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I haven't read the bill, and I am not sure what one's position on this bill has to do with the wildly inappropriate remarks by Foxx. Are you familiar at all with what happened to Matthew Shephard? No matter how one feels about the bill, what she said reflected a tremendous amount of ignorance, insecurity, and insensitivity.
He asked you how you feel about hate crime legislation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He asked you how you feel about hate crime legislation.
No, he asked how I feel about this specific hate crime legislation, and I can't really respond since I haven't read it or a summary of it. In general, I support hate crime legislation though.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
TheAzzuri

Quote:
No, he asked how I feel about this specific hate crime legislation, and I can't really respond since I haven't read it or a summary of it. In general, I support hate crime legislation though.

My wording was ambiguous, I was asking about hate crime legislation in general. In my original question, I was asking if you supported it generally or if you were just using a wacko comment to take a potshot at republicans.

I'm curious to know your rationale. It's a topic that is so emotionally charged that it's difficult to have any sort of open discussion. Maybe there are things I haven't considered.

In the interest of disclosure, I do think Matthew Sheppard was a crime of hate, but I don't think the crime would have been any less hateful had he been straight. I haven't read the current bill either, but the idea makes me uncomfortable both in principle and in execution. Is deterrence the goal? If not, what is?
________
Maine Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
My wording was ambiguous, I was asking about hate crime legislation in general. In my original question, I was asking if you supported it generally or if you were just using a wacko comment to take a potshot at republicans.

I'm curious to know your rationale. It's a topic that is so emotionally charged that it's difficult to have any sort of open discussion. Maybe there are things I haven't considered.

In the interest of disclosure, I do think Matthew Sheppard was a crime of hate, but I don't think the crime would have been any less hateful had he been straight. I haven't read the current bill either, but the idea makes me uncomfortable both in principle and in execution. Is deterrence the goal? If not, what is?
It isn't that the crime would be less hateful if he was straight, it is that the crime likely wouldn't have happened at all but for the fact that he wasn't straight. The state absolutely has an interest in deterring such conduct. Not all hate crimes end in murder (which will be prosecuted strongly whether it is a hate crime or not, presumably). Burning crosses in people's lawns, targeting a minority for harassment, etc. Such conduct can't and mustn't be tolerated. So yes, I favor hate crime legislation.

This is all a distraction from the absurd remarks of Rep. Foxx, though. I don't think it appropriate that her comments be dismissed so quickly and easily.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
TheAzzuri

Quote:

This is all a distraction from the absurd remarks of Rep. Foxx, though. I don't think it appropriate that her comments be dismissed so quickly and easily.
LOL, you nailed me on that one. Distraction was indeed my game. Clearly what we need is more partisan motivated he-said she-said bickering and less discussion about issues.

I will leave you and your righteous indignation in peace.
________
What is love

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Quote:
LOL, you nailed me on that one. Distraction was indeed my game. Clearly what we need is more partisan motivated he-said she-said bickering and less discussion about issues.

I will leave you and your righteous indignation in peace.
I think it is sad that someone on one side of the aisle can say something as absurd and insensitive as what Foxx said, and people like you jump into the fray and say "we shouldn't talk about her comments- that is only partisan bickering." Her comments are despicable and should be called as such, regardless of her party affiliation.

And yes, your comments were designed as a distraction. Note you never addressed the substance of hate crime legislation after I responded.