cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is there a lack of care by leadership?

They offer answers, pray, fast and go to Church as their sole answers to intellectual curiosity.

Too much IBM in us. We're all cogs in a big machine now.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but is this really that much different from any other denomination? It seems to me that, with rare exceptions, the intellectuo-spiritually curious don't gravitate toward church ministry; they gravitate toward academia.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but is this really that much different from any other denomination? It seems to me that, with rare exceptions, the intellectuo-spiritually curious don't gravitate toward church ministry; they gravitate toward academia.
A lot of truth in that, but in some faiths, where academia is also embraced, such as Roman Catholicism or some forms of Judaism, more openness exists.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A lot of truth in that, but in some faiths, where academia is also embraced, such as Roman Catholicism or some forms of Judaism, more openness exists.
I wonder if the disparity is as great as you seem to believe. But certainly, Catholicism does have the most rigorous requirements for its leadership, and especially its upper leadership. I'm more skeptical of intellectual inquiry being very much of an aspect of modern religious Judaism.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I can't think of the last time I asked any leader anything. Maybe they are too busy putting out what the percieve to be fires that are burning hotter? Perhaps that's related again to lack of a lay clergy. Most local leaders are probably spread too thin and ill equippped to handle the kinds of questions I think you are suggesting.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The amount of work it takes to be someone who can delve into some of these thorny issues is really quite extraordinary.

You have people like SIEQ, Dan (whom you are probably not familiar with RHG), and my friend "friend" (only the people from the beginning of the site know to whom I refer). They have devoted thousands of hours to reading histories and biographies as well as scripture. The average ecclesiastical leader in the LDS church just doesn't have this kind of base, not to mention the kind of intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote