cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Creating a blue sea at BYU games...

Why hasn't the administration done more to get people to wear blue? It doesn't seem like it would be hard, or too expensive.

How about these ideas:

1. Give out a free drink/program/food item to BYU fans who are wearing a blue BYU shirt.

2. Give people who wear a blue BYU shirt priority on some parking slots.

3. Give out coupons for BYU blue shirts at games.

4. Just give out blue BYU shirts, starting with the student section and/or season ticket holders.

If people have an incentive to wear blue, I am confident they would. BYU fans are cheap, and nothing calls out to us more than a "free" item! I would imagine that the cost of giving away items to people wearing blue shirts would be more than offset by the purchases of additional blue shirts.

Thoughts?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe they don't care/understand the importance of atmosphere at college football games. BYU football has always been a product that markets itself. The Fan base isn't going away, so why would the admin waste their time? As long as butts are in the seats...and they are...the admin is happy.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather
Maybe they don't care/understand the importance of atmosphere at college football games. BYU football has always been a product that markets itself. The Fan base isn't going away, so why would the admin waste their time? As long as butts are in the seats...and they are...the admin is happy.

Could be, but even from a purely financial perspective, I would think selling lots more BYU gear would be desireable (with the nice side effect of a better atmosphere).

Why doesn't the U do something too?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, there's a lot of red in the stands these days. Utefans has actually done a great job in helping our bad marketing department.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I say make a sea of white like the Miami Heat. Everyone has a white shirt.

Or boy scout uniforms.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Free food is always a good incentive

But I doubt it will happen - they're just too cheap. I emailed Holmoe last year to ask why the cheerleaders were throwing out white instead of blue BYU t-shirts. He didn't know but said he'd get back to me. He asked the cheer instructor - the reason: white was cheaper.

I think they should paint the inside of the stadium blue. That would help a little.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Why hasn't the administration done more to get people to wear blue? It doesn't seem like it would be hard, or too expensive.

How about these ideas:

1. Give out a free drink/program/food item to BYU fans who are wearing a blue BYU shirt.

2. Give people who wear a blue BYU shirt priority on some parking slots.

3. Give out coupons for BYU blue shirts at games.

4. Just give out blue BYU shirts, starting with the student section and/or season ticket holders.

If people have an incentive to wear blue, I am confident they would. BYU fans are cheap, and nothing calls out to us more than a "free" item! I would imagine that the cost of giving away items to people wearing blue shirts would be more than offset by the purchases of additional blue shirts.

Thoughts?
those are good ideas... i'm trying to get a hold of brandon beck who is president of cougar united (byu's student section) and seeing what can be done as far as the students are concerened... it really is my dying wish to see everybody wearing BLUE!!!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I consider myself a very avid fan of BYU. I generally wear blue even when I'm just watching the games on TV. But I must be the only fan in the world who could care less if everyone in the crowd is decked out in the correct colors. I don't believe it has any effect on the game.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Having lived in Nebraska for several years, the cornhusker red during football season is really something to see. I'm not sure how much it would affect the players or the outcome of the game, but it sure adds something to the entire experience of watching a game when the entire stadium is decked out in team colors.

I also vote that we outlaw the old powder blue uniform colors from LES. Unless, of course, it is in the form of a nice leisure suit, then it is okay. That, and anything that refers to the 1984 National Championship. While the baby blue still holds some sentimental value for me from the days of my youth, its time to let it go.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #10
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I consider myself a very avid fan of BYU. I generally wear blue even when I'm just watching the games on TV. But I must be the only fan in the world who could care less if everyone in the crowd is decked out in the correct colors. I don't believe it has any effect on the game.
the act of wearing blue may not have any effect on the game, but it sure provides an AWESOME atmosphere! it creates a sense of unity among fans which i think is lacking at the BYU and gets people excited. someone made mention of Nebraska. you can also look to Tennessee, Florida, USC, an yes, even utah... it's pretty cool to see everybody united.

as far as what bluegoose said about the '84 Nat'l Title... i still say live it up! it's a great accomplishment that no other team in our league may ever get! i don't care how long ago it was!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote