cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Looking WAY down the road...

So, the election is only a day behind us, but I think Biden presents some interesting questions for an Obama administration. He is going to be pretty old if Obama were to stay in the White House for 8 years. Would he be a viable candidate at that point? I am not so sure.

Obama is pragmatic and an excellent strategist. Could we see a change in VP for the next election? I would guess that we do, and I would bet on Mark Warner for VP. He is an extraordinarily popular Virginian who would be in the 4th year of his Senate term (after serving as governor of VA and being a very successful businessman). I could see Warner then running for president and taking someone like Napolitano as VP (lock up the west with the south, and lock up women).

That would be a very tough ticket. If Republicans can't take back VA and NC or the west, they will be in the minority for a really long time.

Again, it is insanely early to think about this stuff, but I find it fun to contemplate.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
So, the election is only a day behind us, but I think Biden presents some interesting questions for an Obama administration. He is going to be pretty old if Obama were to stay in the White House for 8 years. Would he be a viable candidate at that point? I am not so sure.

Obama is pragmatic and an excellent strategist. Could we see a change in VP for the next election? I would guess that we do, and I would bet on Mark Warner for VP. He is an extraordinarily popular Virginian who would be in the 4th year of his Senate term (after serving as governor of VA and being a very successful businessman). I could see Warner then running for president and taking someone like Napolitano as VP (lock up the west with the south, and lock up women).

That would be a very tough ticket. If Republicans can't take back VA and NC or the west, they will be in the minority for a really long time.

Again, it is insanely early to think about this stuff, but I find it fun to contemplate.
North Carolina won't go to a Republican.

heh.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:

The Repubs would love to run against Napolitano. Ever checked out the condition of Arizona. This woman wants to pay for every kids college education......in the midst of a multibillion dollar deficit. Bring her on.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
The Repubs would love to run against Napolitano. Ever checked out the condition of Arizona. This woman wants to pay for every kids college education......in the midst of a multibillion dollar deficit. Bring her on.
In my hypo, she would be the VP, and is pretty unlikely her record is at all at issue. Even if it is, she is a great governor and wildly popular.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:

A lot can happen in eight years, or or even four for that matter. In 2004, there was a markedly different landscape. For example, few people had heard of a certain state senator from Illinois.
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I would like to see the Republican party head in a Libertarian direction. They are in a tough situation. They don't appeal to minorities and young people. I think they are in serious trouble.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I would like to see the Republican party head in a Libertarian direction. They are in a tough situation. They don't appeal to minorities and young people. I think they are in serious trouble.
The party is hemorrhaging membership. I'd post the graph, but I haven't been able to find lately. It's not pretty.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Has it ever appealed to minorities and young people? Perhaps pre-Korean War?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Has it ever appealed to minorities and young people? Perhaps pre-Korean War?
I don't think so, but minorities won't be minorities for much longer. People generally move to the right as they age, but I'm not sure about the current 18-29 age group. They seem pretty liberal. I don't like the idea of a one party system, so I hope they change their tune or a new party rises quickly.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
The party is hemorrhaging membership. I'd post the graph, but I haven't been able to find lately. It's not pretty.
What do you think the solution is? Maybe a move to the center would help.