cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who replaces Fulmer?

Who is a big-name coach, outside of the SEC who might go to Tennessee?

What about Leach?

Hell, how about Bronco? (I doubt it).

Pinkston?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who is a big-name coach, outside of the SEC who might go to Tennessee?

What about Leach?

Hell, how about Bronco? (I doubt it).

Pinkston?
Yeah, it would be crazy to think that an SEC team would be interested in a MWC coach. Thankfully, that has never happened.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

ay carumba, I scanned the first 4 pages of this thread, and there were 3 people voting for Bronco.

A lot of talk of Peterson at BSU and Sarkisian, who coaches at USC.

Sarkisian has a BYU connection, I am told.

Bronco is catching the attention of the college football world, that tells me.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenne...ment-list.html

Last edited by MikeWaters; 09-26-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yeah, it would be crazy to think that an SEC team would be interested in a MWC coach. Thankfully, that has never happened.
When you think about it, why shouldn't Bronco, if BYU is undefeated, be as hot a commodity as Urban Meyer?

Urban did take turn around two programs, while Bronco has turned around just one. And let's admit it, it's harder to take Utah that high, than it is to take BYU.

But then again, Peterson at BSU has not nearly the cachet even now as Meyer did. So it would not surprise me to see Bronco lumped in with Peterson.

Plus there is the definite idea that Bronco is more attached to BYU than someone like Meyer who everyone knew would leave Utah as soon as possible. That may decrease the ardor of other schools.

If Bronco left, I'm sure Anae would be hired, and we would motor on.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
When you think about it, why shouldn't Bronco, if BYU is undefeated, be as hot a commodity as Urban Meyer?

Urban did take turn around two programs, while Bronco has turned around just one. And let's admit it, it's harder to take Utah that high, than it is to take BYU.

But then again, Peterson at BSU has not nearly the cachet even now as Meyer did. So it would not surprise me to see Bronco lumped in with Peterson.

Plus there is the definite idea that Bronco is more attached to BYU than someone like Meyer who everyone knew would leave Utah as soon as possible. That may decrease the ardor of other schools.

If Bronco left, I'm sure Anae would be hired, and we would motor on.
Not sure if I shared it here or on CB, but last year it was confirmed that BYU had already been contacted by BCS teams re: Bronco's services. If BYU wins the MWC conference again (even without a BCS run), he is going to get major looks....and mad cash thrown his way by some team.

I honestly think that Notre Dame would love to have Bronco. The Butt sucks, Bronco would be a relative steal salary-wise, and Bronco runs the kind of moral program that the Irish claim to value.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The Butt is not going to be fired after this season.

I personally think Bronco would have been a great fit with Texas A&M. But they are too stupid to hire someone like Bronco.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The Butt is not going to be fired after this season.

I personally think Bronco would have been a great fit with Texas A&M. But they are too stupid to hire someone like Bronco.
This season, no he won't be fired. Next season.....I wouldn't be surprised. He has been awful at Notre Dame and I don't think this season will be that much of an improvement.

Bronco is stacked to have solid seasons this year and next at BYU.

It is a long shot, but I agree with you....big schools are going to come looking at Bronco in the very near future, and why not the SEC? Bronco has really shown a flair for all aspects...defense, offense, and developing QBs and RBs..with the way the Pac 10 is this year, there will likely be a LOT of Help Wanted signs on the West Coast over the next few years.

Another possibility: Washington. Ty is on his last legs there. Stoops in Arizona (I wouldnt leave BYU for Arizona, though).

Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ten is 10 times the prestige and prominence than WA.

Never follow a legend. I wouldn't go to TN.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This season, no he won't be fired. Next season.....I wouldn't be surprised. He has been awful at Notre Dame and I don't think this season will be that much of an improvement.

Bronco is stacked to have solid seasons this year and next at BYU.

It is a long shot, but I agree with you....big schools are going to come looking at Bronco in the very near future, and why not the SEC? Bronco has really shown a flair for all aspects...defense, offense, and developing QBs and RBs..with the way the Pac 10 is this year, there will likely be a LOT of Help Wanted signs on the West Coast over the next few years.

Another possibility: Washington. Ty is on his last legs there. Stoops in Arizona (I wouldnt leave BYU for Arizona, though).
No kidding, his alma mater was ready to ship Riley out the door a couple of years ago. The sky's the limit with Bronco. Do you forsee BYU trying to lock him up with a bigger deal?
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
No kidding, his alma mater was ready to ship Riley out the door a couple of years ago. The sky's the limit with Bronco. Do you forsee BYU trying to lock him up with a bigger deal?
Yes and no.

First, BYU Just gave him a raise (as well as Rose, the men's hoops coach). Also, they have a program called "Coaches Circle" that is privately funded by direct donations with the express purpose of paying our football and basketball coaches so that the cash does not come from the football budget.

That being said, Holmoe has said expressly that while the BYU football coach's salary will continue to rise over the years, BYU will never be paying big time Peter Carroll cash to its coaches....in other words, BYU will never pay top dollar for coaches in any given year.

Depending on how much is thrown at him, he has to consider it. Right now I think he is making about $800K. I would guess that they would re-visit another Coaches Circle raise if Bronco continues to do well...esp if he makes a BCS bowl.....and if he wins a BCS bowl....watch out.