cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Amazing I've stayed Republican

Listening to Bush last night brought home how much I detest the man, deep down, and always have. I guess I'm an enigma even to myself.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I want a Free Market/Libertarian Party, because neither the Dems nor the Reps stand for governing principles which I can endorse.

I want a free market capitalist, who eschews government regulation, except and only when absolutely necessary through enabling restraints.

I want a single flat rate income tax or a consumption tax as a major source of revenue.

We need to do away with the AMT and death taxes.

I want a foreign policy which is neither interventionistic nor pacifist, but one which balances our economic interests, regional interests with the needs of traditional alliances.

I want a party endorsing a minimalistic form of government and government should not be the single largest employer. We should not be a country of career politicians and bureaucrats but a country of small and medium sized businesses serving our local communities.

I want social policy being primarily driven by libertarian concerns, not economic concerns to obtain more benefits.

I want a government which stands for all the civil liberties of Constitution as well as the Second Amendment.

I want a party which does not wish to further federalize health care delivery systems, as the initial forays have already screwed it up enough. Universal health care will be a nightmare.

I want a party that protects those who cannot fend for themselves, but recognizes incentives for people to solve problems rather than government intrusion usually work better. I'm sick of government "bailouts" for investments gone bad. When does a small business owner get a "bailout" if his investment choices go awry?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Listening to Bush last night brought home how much I detest the man, deep down, and always have. I guess I'm an enigma even to myself.
Party loyalty is for the weak-minded. This incarnation of the party stinks. It's okay to admit it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Party loyalty is for the weak-minded. This incarnation of the party stinks. It's okay to admit it.
But the Democratic incarnation is just as bad or worse. F.. . em both.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But the Democratic incarnation is just as bad or worse. F.. . em both.
There is no Democratic reincarnation. That party is pretty much what it's always been. The problem with the GOP is that it's not really the GOP. It's some kind of hijack operating under the Republican name.

If the Utes stole all your jerseys and started claiming to be Cougars, are they really Cougars at all? Nope. Just Utes in disguise.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
There is no Democratic reincarnation. That party is pretty much what it's always been. The problem with the GOP is that it's not really the GOP. It's some kind of hijack operating under the Republican name.

If the Utes stole all your jerseys and started claiming to be Cougars, are they really Cougars at all? Nope. Just Utes in disguise.
I agree Bush is a Democrat masquerading as Republican. But the Dems are just plain lousy as ever. Obama is just a prettier version of many old line beliefs.

So Obama gets to be president of the Second Great Depression. I can hardly wait for the New Screw you Deal.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This statement is fundamentally & comprehensively offensive, like saying "your momma wants to have bin Laden's baby". I strenuously object to this kind of incendiary rhetoric.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

So Bush is Crowton. Not it all makes sense.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I want a Free Market/Libertarian Party, because neither the Dems nor the Reps stand for governing principles which I can endorse.

I want a free market capitalist, who eschews government regulation, except and only when absolutely necessary through enabling restraints.

I want a single flat rate income tax or a consumption tax as a major source of revenue.

We need to do away with the AMT and death taxes.

I want a foreign policy which is neither interventionistic nor pacifist, but one which balances our economic interests, regional interests with the needs of traditional alliances.

I want a party endorsing a minimalistic form of government and government should not be the single largest employer. We should not be a country of career politicians and bureaucrats but a country of small and medium sized businesses serving our local communities.

I want social policy being primarily driven by libertarian concerns, not economic concerns to obtain more benefits.

I want a government which stands for all the civil liberties of Constitution as well as the Second Amendment.

I want a party which does not wish to further federalize health care delivery systems, as the initial forays have already screwed it up enough. Universal health care will be a nightmare.

I want a party that protects those who cannot fend for themselves, but recognizes incentives for people to solve problems rather than government intrusion usually work better. I'm sick of government "bailouts" for investments gone bad. When does a small business owner get a "bailout" if his investment choices go awry?
Break out of the two party system and vote Libertarian this time! Voting is not like picking winners to football games. Somehow Americans have this deeply ingrained need to feel like they have a chance to vote for the winner. Besides, the probability of your one vote deciding the election is non existent anyway. I've decided it's better for me to feel good about my choice than to know I've voted for someone I don't agree with.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-25-2008 at 06:16 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Political parties are unavoidable. The problem in the US is that somehow we have made the two party system into a sacred cow. We point at Europe as an example of what we don't want and assume it's because they have multiple parties. That's not the real problem. It's the parliamentary system that causes their problems. Three or four main parties would do fine under our system. Congress would just have to change some of their traditions and rules to accomodate more groups perhaps, but that wouldn't be a tragedy. We still have three well defined branches of government and set terms for offices. Parliamentary systems generally don't have that, and that is their weakness.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-25-2008 at 06:36 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote