cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Note to self:

Never piss off Letterman.

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

So apparently McCain called Letterman at the last minute yesterday, apologizing that he'd have to miss his scheduled appearance because he had to catch a plane to get back to DC to work on the economic proposal.

Only problem was, at the time he was supposed to appear with Letterman he was appearing down the street with Couric, trying to expand on his runningmate's answers from the recent Couric interview.

Letterman spent most of the evening blasting McCain. Not even funny blasting. Just like, "I'm really pissed off" blasting.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, just really mad. Rush Limbaughesque.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was funny up until the point he brought on Keith Olberman. It was like having a naked Rosanne Barr show up in the middle of the Phoebe Cates pool scene.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I've always preferred Leno.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The only reason people were laughing was it was Letterman saying it, and the audience's demographic is mostly democrats. It wasn't very funny really. If you read a transcript you wouldn't be laughing, especially if you din't know who was talking. For example, people screamed with laughter when he repeated the inane catch phrase "you don't suspend the campaign" for the thirtieth time. What's funny about that. The audience is a moronic herd of sheep. I have higher standards than to simply laugh just because Letterman says something.

Boy, he's aged.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Once Letterman moved to CBS it was all downhill from there. When I'm looking for late night TV entertainment, I don't look for a decrepit, angry political pundit.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Oh, come on guys, you've gotta admit that television just doesn't get any better than "will it float?"
Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Oh, come on guys, you've gotta admit that television just doesn't get any better than "will it float?"
I don't know what that is, but I used to really like the top ten lists and stupid pet tricks. He's had some decent monologues over the years. I do like him better than Leno and in the past certainly better than Carson.

This monologue just went on too long and wasn't very funny. His ego is also off-putting. The senate (of which both presidential candidates are a part) is considering this "bail out" so McCain goes to Washington to participate in it and has to cancel his appearance on Letterman. Letterman's hugely insulted, and that's supposed to be funny. NOT.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't know what that is, but I used to really like the top ten lists and stupid pet tricks. He's had some decent monologues over the years. I do like him better than Leno and in the past certainly better than Carson.
Funny you should mention Johnny. I was leaning toward pointing out that you sounded an awfully lot like my parents longing for the days when late night television was still funny with Johnny Carson.

But anyhow, yes, obviously, there was nothing funny about this show, except perhaps for the fact that McCain thought no one would notice he stood up Letterman for Kate. This is one of those shows where you have to think it was pretty disappointing and rather awkward to be in the audience. I've seen a couple of others that had that tone for one reason or other.