cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default NY Times' best books in last 25 years: Fact or fiction?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/bo...-25-years.html

I read this with interest. What do you think of the list? I'm not familiar with all the books but have read some of them. Of course I have a deep admiration for McCarthy's works (see my signature). But the first two books listed in my opinion are unreadable except for some magnificent passages. (Underworld has a very stirring scene depicting a famous baseball moment in the 1930's; I wish I were more of a baseball buff and I could recall it and tell you excactly what it is. The book is probably worth buying for that scene alone, and there are some good ones of J. Edgar Hoover in drag. But I found the novel disjointed and bloated otherwise.) In general I found the list to be oppressively politically motivated. All the more impressive that McCarthy's non-PC stuff got so many votes.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-11-2006 at 05:09 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Hmmm.... I like to think I am somewhat literate, but the only ones on that list that I have read are Beloved and the four McCarthy books. Although I have heard of many of these books. Looks like I need to try a Phili Roth book. Six entries? Wow.

It is interesting how many of these books have less than stellar reviews on amazon.com.

Beloved includes the most disturbing scene in all of fiction that I can remember.