cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Early of late Coltrane
Blue Note/Prestige period (Blue Trane, Soultrane) 2 25.00%
Alantic period (Giant Steps, The Avante-Garde, My Favorite Things) 2 25.00%
Impulse period (Live at the Village Vanguard, A Love Supreme) 2 25.00%
Free Jazz (Ascensions, Interstellar Space) 1 12.50%
I do not enjoy John Coltrane 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Early Coltrane or late Coltrane

Which period of John Coltrane's career do you think is best.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
mpfunk

This one was a really tough call for me. I originally thought I would go with his free jazz, but then I remembered how damn good his live stuff was during the Impulse records period. While Ascensions is my favorite album that Trane ever put out, I believe there is more quality stuff when he was in the middle between free jazz and more traditional jazz.

Of course had Trane not died when he did his free jazz period would certainly have been the best.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Who's Coltrane again? Was he the guy in Kenny G's band that passed?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Who's Coltrane again? Was he the guy in Kenny G's band that passed?
He's the guy they named malt liquor after, mostly because a lot of his work ended up on 45rpm singles.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
This one was a really tough call for me. I originally thought I would go with his free jazz, but then I remembered how damn good his live stuff was during the Impulse records period. While Ascensions is my favorite album that Trane ever put out, I believe there is more quality stuff when he was in the middle between free jazz and more traditional jazz.

Of course had Trane not died when he did his free jazz period would certainly have been the best.
A Love Supreme is my favorite, although I really like Blue Train also.

I have never heard Ascensions. The only free jazz that is actually memorable to me is a little of Ornette Coleman, and Weather Report (although I don't know if they classify as free jazz). Free jazz (in my limited experience) seems to be something that is more satisfying to the performer, rather than the audience. I guess that I can intellectually appreciate it, but have yet to hear anything that blows me away. I will give Ascenions a listen.

btw, one thing that I like about A Love Supreme and the other Impulse recordings is that I think they are heading towards the direction of free jazz, but keeping a little structure that makes them more accessible.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
A Love Supreme is my favorite, although I really like Blue Train also.

I have never heard Ascensions. The only free jazz that is actually memorable to me is a little of Ornette Coleman, and Weather Report (although I don't know if they classify as free jazz). Free jazz (in my limited experience) seems to be something that is more satisfying to the performer, rather than the audience. I guess that I can intellectually appreciate it, but have yet to hear anything that blows me away. I will give Ascenions a listen.

btw, one thing that I like about A Love Supreme and the other Impulse recordings is that I think they are heading towards the direction of free jazz, but keeping a little structure that makes them more accessible.
I love Ascensions but wouldn't necessarily suggest it unless you are into free jazz. I also think that you are more likely to enjoy Trane's Interstellar Space if you are not as much into free jazz. It is a lot simpler than Ascensions and makes it a lot easier to listen to. It is just Trane and a drummer. I think a really good one to listen to as a starter is Pharoah Sanders, the Creator has a Master Plan. I also am very partial to a lot of Eric Dolphy.

The more I think about it though, the less of a close call it is between the free jazz and Impulse recordings.