cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone here ever donated to MADD?

I am extremely sympathetic to their viewpoint. Furthermore, the idea of pissing off red-nosed drunks really makes me happy.

Of course, preventing tragic deaths is important.

And a consortium of groups are currently trying to roll back the drinking age to 18, despite strong evidence that it has saved many thousands of lives. In this consortium is something like 120 college presidents.

I think I might like to support them now, instead of supporting them when a tragedy has occurred in my life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I can't think of a more irrelevant organization. You may as well send your money to me, it'll do about as much good.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...s-wyoming.html

I know it's a big joke to you, heaven help you if your children are taken from you by a drunk driver, (esp. if you are the drunk driver).
Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am extremely sympathetic to their viewpoint. Furthermore, the idea of pissing off red-nosed drunks really makes me happy.

Of course, preventing tragic deaths is important.

And a consortium of groups are currently trying to roll back the drinking age to 18, despite strong evidence that it has saved many thousands of lives. In this consortium is something like 120 college presidents.

I think I might like to support them now, instead of supporting them when a tragedy has occurred in my life.
Mike, I think I'm with you in keeping it at 21. But the college presidents must have a good reason. What's their side of the argument? I haven't been following this.

It does seem to me that really enforcing the existing law is next to impossible and the key may be education, supervised drinking, arranging events with alcohol where transportation is provided, taking the mystique out of drunkennes. Some of these are approaches used by busnesses when hosting employee attended events where alcohol is served, by the way. Prohibition doesn't work very well.

But this isn't my field.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I've seen quite a bit of criticism of MADD, but I haven't researched it enough to see how valid it is. Here's an example, with a couple of links to other examples.

http://www.instapundit.com/archives/006033.php#006033
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I don't believe I ever questioned the validity of their purported purpose, just the organization itself. Nobody, even those of us who imbibe, think drunk driving is ok. Their battle has been won, society now recognizes their point of view as the correct one and thus their reason for being is no more.

It is now a matter for law enforcement, not non-profits.

Last edited by landpoke; 08-25-2008 at 06:26 PM.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have donated to MAAD in the past.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I've seen quite a bit of criticism of MADD, but I haven't researched it enough to see how valid it is. Here's an example, with a couple of links to other examples.

http://www.instapundit.com/archives/006033.php#006033
that's funny. this person calls out MADD before 1) they are too successful raising money, and 2) they focus on alcohol-related deaths, and not just general safety.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Mike, I think I'm with you in keeping it at 21. But the college presidents must have a good reason. What's their side of the argument? I haven't been following this.

It does seem to me that really enforcing the existing law is next to impossible and the key may be education, supervised drinking, arranging events with alcohol where transportation is provided, taking the mystique out of drunkennes. Some of these are approaches used by busnesses when hosting employee attended events where alcohol is served, by the way. Prohibition doesn't work very well.

But this isn't my field.
why is a supposedly bright lawyer asking me why college presidents want the drinking age lowered to 18?

hint: it has a lot to do with lawyers.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

But this isn't my field.
College Presidents are afraid of liability and loss of income from beverage industry. I haven't seen anything more than that but they cloak it as an enforceability problem.

So, because we lose money we want the law to allow for more irresponsibility so that we aren't liable and we don't love beverage industry money on campus.

What a bunch of sell-outs.

Drink all you wish, but drive drunk and you should take it in the chopper.

And yes it's stylish for 18 year olds to get drunk, but it doesn't mean 18 year olds are responsible enough to drink. Those three years make a big difference IMHO.