cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default More gay marriage articles

From today's Des News. The first one reports on a talk by a BYU law professor at Education Week predicting the apocalypse of society as a result of gay marriage:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700253111,00.html

Probably unfair to judge a talk by the article, but there seems to be a lot of fearmongering and not much logic. Interestingly, he warns of the impact of gay divorce on society:

Quote:
Estimates show those figures translate into about $4,500 per year, per family, in taxpayer dollars. "If your tax burden is high now, wait until those (same-sex) marriages fall apart and the state has to care for" divorced spouses and children of those broken unions, he said.
Are gays more likely to divorce than heteros? He lost me there.

The second article is about a series of anti-prop 8 websites by LDS members:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700253113,00.html

Some interesting sites out there:

MormonsforMarriage.com
ldshomosexuality.com

Here is a comment by the church:

Quote:
Kim Farah, a spokeswoman for the 13 million-member Salt Lake City-based church, said church leaders are satisfied that a majority of members understand the teachings that surround the gay marriage issue and overwhelmingly support Proposition 8. "The church, of course, recognizes and accepts that some among its very large membership may view the issue differently," Farah said in a statement. "Church leaders teach important principles and invite our members to govern their lives by those principles. We do not desire to compel them, nor can we do so."
Followed immediately by this warning:

Quote:
But local leaders may consider church disciplinary action against members who act in clear opposition to church doctrine, Farah said.
As a result, this happens:

Quote:
In an e-mail, site managers at lds4gaymarriage declined to be identified for this story, saying no one was willing to give their names "because of the fear of retribution by the church."
Old 08-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there's a strong taste of Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell in this church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

people act in opposition to church doctrine all the time.

e.g. people break the word of wisdom. people don't attend church. people don't magnify their callings. etc, etc.

Most of them don't get excommunicated.

But say you are for gay marriage personally, and everyone else is entitled to their own opinion. Watch out.

I've said what I've said here. And frankly if what I have said is worthy of excommunication, so be it. If the church doesn't want people like me, that is their prerogative.

You will note that the gay haters and the sophists and liars will not be excommunicated. THey will be lionized.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Someone needs to hang a banner outside the COB with that JS quote about freedom to believe what we want to believe, being less like the Methodists; the brethren need the reminder.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I think this will be my first ever mullah post...

Most of you guys are idiots and pretty pompous.

I like when members of the church don't agree with things that the current church leadership say about things or the stance that they have, the first thing folks do is go back and grab something that another prophet said previously (because that one fits your agenda) and decide to use that one instead.

We have leadership today. You either sustain them or you don't. It is pretty simple.

You might not agree with it, but you have sustained them and that means you will support them.

You can show me 100 things from previous prophets that you think mean more than the current leadership.

I can show you 100 things previous prophets said that look pretty stupid now.

Which one should we follow? Current leadership. That is why they are here. If we didn't need them and could rely only on the stuff that past prophets have mentioned then the Lord would have closed the heavens.

Glad to know most of you are smarter than the Quorum.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
people act in opposition to church doctrine all the time.

e.g. people break the word of wisdom. people don't attend church. people don't magnify their callings. etc, etc.

Most of them don't get excommunicated.

But say you are for gay marriage personally, and everyone else is entitled to their own opinion. Watch out.

I've said what I've said here. And frankly if what I have said is worthy of excommunication, so be it. If the church doesn't want people like me, that is their prerogative.

You will note that the gay haters and the sophists and liars will not be excommunicated. THey will be lionized.
Oh brother, Mike. The Church couldn't care less what you think and post on an internet message board. However disappointing this may be to you in your attempt to somehow gain importance by being a martyr, you're never going to be excommunicated.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post

I like when members of the church don't agree with things that the current church leadership say about things or the stance that they have, the first thing folks do is go back and grab something that another prophet said previously (because that one fits your agenda) and decide to use that one instead.

We have leadership today. You either sustain them or you don't. It is pretty simple.

You might not agree with it, but you have sustained them and that means you will support them.

You can show me 100 things from previous prophets that you think mean more than the current leadership.

Which one should we follow? Current leadership. That is why they are here. If we didn't need them and could rely only on the stuff that past prophets have mentioned then the Lord would have closed the heavens.

Thanks for weighing in.

Just curious, Tick. What statements by previous prophets would contradict the current church stance on gay marriage? Help me understand the dichotomy of which you speak.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

Signed,
John D. Lee
Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Like I even know or care who John D. Lee is...I am not even going to waste the time to look it up.

After my trip to the temple last week it has become pretty clear to me...

We have a prophet and first presidency. We have a Q12 apostles. We sustain them as prophet seer and revelators. We believe that they act in gods name and lead the church the same way.

If they are asking us to do it then we need to. Take your personal feelings aside and start paddling with the rest of us.

Believe it or not I opposed it before I went to the temple. I no longer do.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Like I even know or care who John D. Lee is...I am not even going to waste the time to look it up.

After my trip to the temple last week it has become pretty clear to me...

We have a prophet and first presidency. We have a Q12 apostles. We sustain them as prophet seer and revelators. We believe that they act in gods name and lead the church the same way.

If they are asking us to do it then we need to. Take your personal feelings aside and start paddling with the rest of us.

Believe it or not I opposed it before I went to the temple. I no longer do.
Signed,
John D. Lee