cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road
Default Incoming player's impact this year

I have been reading pre-season snippets here and there, and all metion the injuries the Utes had last year, but also the many new players who stepped up to help bail the Utes out of what couuld have been a nightmare.

These two Alta grads, both true freshmen, could help the Utes out this year. I have seen film on Shakerin, but haven't seen anything on Boo Anderson. I believe Shakerin is for real, and Mack (assuming Asiata is as good as believed) may have a hard time keeping the ball in his hands and out of Shakerin's hands this year. What I have read on Boo Anderson is that the kid is for real and very tough. I am also excited about Aiona Key and David Reed as receivers (I hope that this is the year the WR corp finally lives up to its billing), and Siliaga should be a stud. I know that the Utes signed a TE they were excited about named LaPorte, and Ludwig needs to get the TE involved in the offense to make us a little more varied. Most of all, I am interested to find out what happens with Devonte Christopher, will he redshirt if Johnson doesn't get hurt, or will they burn his redshirt year to get him experience the way Johnson got behind Alex Smith as a true freshman.

I'm getting very exicted for Ute football this year.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
I have been reading pre-season snippets here and there, and all metion the injuries the Utes had last year, but also the many new players who stepped up to help bail the Utes out of what couuld have been a nightmare.

These two Alta grads, both true freshmen, could help the Utes out this year. I have seen film on Shakerin, but haven't seen anything on Boo Anderson. I believe Shakerin is for real, and Mack (assuming Asiata is as good as believed) may have a hard time keeping the ball in his hands and out of Shakerin's hands this year. What I have read on Boo Anderson is that the kid is for real and very tough. I am also excited about Aiona Key and David Reed as receivers (I hope that this is the year the WR corp finally lives up to its billing), and Siliaga should be a stud. I know that the Utes signed a TE they were excited about named LaPorte, and Ludwig needs to get the TE involved in the offense to make us a little more varied. Most of all, I am interested to find out what happens with Devonte Christopher, will he redshirt if Johnson doesn't get hurt, or will they burn his redshirt year to get him experience the way Johnson got behind Alex Smith as a true freshman.

I'm getting very exicted for Ute football this year.

Even if Shakerin is for real, he won't see the field this year. He's a virtual lock to redshirt. With Matt Asiata, Darrell Mack, Ray Stowers and Eddie Wide ahead of him, the ONLY way Shakerin doesn't redshirt is if some of the guys ahead of him get hurt.

Even with Devonte Christopher graduating from high school early and being involved in Utah Spring Ball, the kid still has light years to go in terms of understanding the offense and with his throwing ability. He's a lights out dynamic runner, but he can't throw the ball worth a hill of beans. He's also a very likely candidate to redshirt. With Brian Johnson, Corbin Louks and Chad Manis ahead of him on the depth chart, they aren't going to waste a year of eligibility on a 4th String QB.

And every year we hear about how the Yewts are going to get the Tight End more involved into the offense. I'll believe it when I see it.

Of any of your newcomers who I think could make an impact it's probably one of or both of your incoming JC Wide Receivers. It's my understanding that Aiona Key is a virtual lock to make it to U camp, but that there is serious concern about David Reed ever making it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
OrangeUte

What is david reed's issue - academics?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
What is david reed's issue - academics?
Yes. He's got to get his AA degree before he can transfer, as is the case with any JC Transfer. He's close.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Rocky about Shakerin redshirting. To me, it really makes no sense to have that many RBs if all are healthy. Allowing Shak to spend the first year learning the offense will really benefit him.

As for Boo Andersen, because the Utes LB corps isn't as deep as RB, there's no reason for him to not play this year. I believe he'll fit in well and can contribute - and the transition from high school to the college game will be easier for him than for Shak. I don't have any specific reason for believing that other than a gut feeling.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
OrangeUte

i agree w/ the running back assessment, but i have this mixed feelings about whether mack is going to be able to have a good year. if he and asiata are both effective, i love the utes having a 2 rb system to open up their offense for hopefully a more effective passing game.

i am probably putting too much emphasis on the 2 rb system for the utes, but it seems that they are most effective when they have more than 1 rb to rely on... i keep remembering watching ganther 2 years ago against tcu all by himself - taking snap after snap and getting nowhere.

having 2 rbs that are reliable and good receivers will hopefully make for a very fun offense to watch.