cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: In Your Opinion, What was the Primary Reason why Joseph Smith was Killed?
He practiced polygamy. 4 20.00%
He aspired to establish a theoracy with him at the head. 3 15.00%
He was a true prophet killed for his testimony of the truth. 4 20.00%
Lingering animosity from the troubles in Missouri. 1 5.00%
The strength of the Nauvoo militia grew too strong. 0 0%
He corrupted Masonic practices. 1 5.00%
His control of the Mormon vote in Illinois politics threatened political stability. 3 15.00%
Other (specify) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road
Default In Your Opinion, What was the Primary Reason why Joseph Smith was Killed?

I'm curious to know the opinions of the group. After reading RSR, Origins of Power, and NMKMH, I'm still not sure there is a clear reason why he was killed. I purposely used the term "primary" in the title of this post and have purposely not included a "it's a combination of factors" choice in the poll.

I figure this poll is appropriate given that tomorrow is the anniversary.

Last edited by Jim Swarthout; 06-27-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Jim Swarthout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't read the coroner's report, but I suppose it was due to bullets striking his body and him striking the ground.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Jim Swarthout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I haven't read the coroner's report, but I suppose it was due to bullets striking his body and him striking the ground.
There are eyewitness accounts stating that after he fell through the window, they propped his body up, shot him a few more times, and ran him through with bayonets.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default Nauvoo Expositor Press Destruction

It is almost always stated that the primary reason for Joseph Smith's murder was his direct order to destroy the printing press of the Nauvoo Expositor, shortly after that newspaper had printed some very damaging information regarding Josesph Smith and polygamy. The Nauvoo Expositor printed only one edition of the paper before it was destroyed. Joseph Smith feared that the damaging articles in the paper would turn some of the saints against him and he ordered that the printing press be destroyed (it was technically decided by the city council, but it's clear that Joseph Smith was behind the order).

Back in those days, freedom of press was a big deal and whenever that freedom was violated, it was taken very seriously.

Once Joseph Smith was in jail, the governor came down to Carthage to calm things down, but as soon as the governor left, there was nothing to stop the mob (and the governor knew that his departure would result in Joseph Smith's death).

I'm summarizing in very broad strokes and I'm sure that many of the scholars on this board can fill in many of my missing pieces.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

You should have allowed for multiple selections.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

A number of factors, and some J.S. fault, but overall, it's his testimony of the truth. The devil stirred up the hearts of men in hatred towards him.

I know that's a little quaint and naive for this board. :-)

Last edited by Venkman; 06-27-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Jim Swarthout

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Coug View Post
It is almost always stated that the primary reason for Joseph Smith's murder was his direct order to destroy the printing press of the Nauvoo Expositor, shortly after that newspaper had printed some very damaging information regarding Josesph Smith and polygamy. The Nauvoo Expositor printed only one edition of the paper before it was destroyed. Joseph Smith feared that the damaging articles in the paper would turn some of the saints against him and he ordered that the printing press be destroyed (it was technically decided by the city council, but it's clear that Joseph Smith was behind the order).

Back in those days, freedom of press was a big deal and whenever that freedom was violated, it was taken very seriously.

Once Joseph Smith was in jail, the governor came down to Carthage to calm things down, but as soon as the governor left, there was nothing to stop the mob (and the governor knew that his departure would result in Joseph Smith's death).

I'm summarizing in very broad strokes and I'm sure that many of the scholars on this board can fill in many of my missing pieces.
One of the things that really struck me while reading RSR, Origins of Power, and NMKNH is the so-called "frontier mentality" that existed in Missouri and Illinois at that time. By frontier-mentality, I mean a very strong sense and often violent means of protecting ones own interests. I do not believe such a mentality exists in modern middle-class America.

El Paso -- I recognize that your opinion is just as valid as mine given that we truly don't know the driving motivation behind the Carthage Greys, but I have a hard time believing that the destruction of the printing press was the primary reason for his murder. I know that it's often portrayed as the leading factor, but I don't think that much violence would be carried out for that act. I believe that there were bigger forces at play.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Jim Swarthout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
A number of factors, and some J.S. fault, but overall, it's his testimony of the truth. The devil stirred up the hearts of men in hatred towards him.

I know that's a little quaint and naive for this board. :-)
Although I don't personally believe that JS was the prophet he claimed to be, I appreciate the historical fact that JS truly did sacrifice himself in order to protect Nauvoo and the people living there. Both RSR and NMKMH recite historical evidence suggesting that mobs/militias were prepared to attack Nauvoo if JS didn't voluntarily surrender. Both books acknowledge that if JS had hidden or run away, Nauvoo would have likely been destroyed.

Despite all his faults, he was loyal to his followers. To her credit, Fawn Brodie emphasizes this quality.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
One of the things that really struck me while reading RSR, Origins of Power, and NMKNH is the so-called "frontier mentality" that existed in Missouri and Illinois at that time. By frontier-mentality, I mean a very strong sense and often violent means of protecting ones own interests. I do not believe such a mentality exists in modern middle-class America.

El Paso -- I recognize that your opinion is just as valid as mine given that we truly don't know the driving motivation behind the Carthage Greys, but I have a hard time believing that the destruction of the printing press was the primary reason for his murder. I know that it's often portrayed as the leading factor, but I don't think that much violence would be carried out for that act. I believe that there were bigger forces at play.
I agree--I think the destruction of the printing press was clearly the reason for his arrest, but probably not the leading cause of his murder.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #10
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I've heard and I have nothing to back this up that Joseph married the wife of a local Mason and between that and taking part of the ceremony and using it in the temple he was killed by Masons.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote