cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think God is mad at us NorCalers.

Saturday we had a lightning storm like I've not seen in years. 500 strikes per hour for several hours. It was a lot of fun to watch (I was out running in it before the lightning got too close) but all I could think about was how many fires there were going to be because there wasn't much moisture accompanying the lightning strikes.

We woke up the next morning to thick smoke and the news that 140 fires are burning locally. We are surrounded by fires in every direction. They do not threaten our town here, but they ruin our air quality and make our workouts very difficult. Today is a nasty day where temps will near 100 degrees and smoke will make that feel pretty unhealthy. I understand the lightning started fires from here to as far South as San Jose.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Saturday we had a lightning storm like I've not seen in years. 500 strikes per hour for several hours. It was a lot of fun to watch (I was out running in it before the lightning got too close) but all I could think about was how many fires there were going to be because there wasn't much moisture accompanying the lightning strikes.

We woke up the next morning to thick smoke and the news that 140 fires are burning locally. We are surrounded by fires in every direction. They do not threaten our town here, but they ruin our air quality and make our workouts very difficult. Today is a nasty day where temps will near 100 degrees and smoke will make that feel pretty unhealthy. I understand the lightning started fires from here to as far South as San Jose.
So you had your basic texas spring thunderstorm?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Duh....

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6182317.story
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
So you had your basic texas spring thunderstorm?
Yes, but the problem is that we have beautiful scenery that burns up when this happens. Not a problem you'd ever have to deal with in Texas.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Yes, but the problem is that we have beautiful scenery that burns up when this happens. Not a problem you'd ever have to deal with in Texas.
LOL.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Check out this map of current fires:

http://geomac.usgs.gov/viewer/viewer.htm

I live in the middle of all those triangles in NorCal. After a couple days of stiff breezes that sent all of our smoke down Creeksters way we are back to an inversion layer of thick smoke limiting visibility to about a mile or less. It's really getting old.

BTW Indy, your joke about it being punishment for the gay marriage ruling is the actual opinion held by a few evangelicals out here. The letters to the editor page published a brief letter in which the writer stated that it likely was punishment from an angry God for our acceptance of homosexuality. Needless to say, it's been an entertaining few days in the opinion pages.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

we have 3 fires in Texas. But I haven't heard any Texan mention them, much less complain. They must be small fires. Of course, small in Texas could mean thousands of acres on fire.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
we have 3 fires in Texas. But I haven't heard any Texan mention them, much less complain. They must be small fires. Of course, small in Texas could mean thousands of acres on fire.
You have 3, we have over 100 though many have merged now. I'm going to keep complaining until I can breathe.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You have 3, we have over 100 though many have merged now. I'm going to keep complaining until I can breathe.
we can't breathe even without any fires.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
we can't breathe even without any fires.
Our air quality scored in the 250's for a couple of days which is labeled "Very Unhealthy". I learned that Beijing's normal air quality score is in the 200's. I can't imagine having to breathe this stuff regularly let alone perform at a world class level in a sport while breathing it.