cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road
Default Expelled - No Intelligence Allowed

Saw this movie last night. Came away disappointed with Ben Stein. Expected some witty, lighthearted satire; instead was exposed to generalizations and scare tactics reminiscent of Michael Moore.

Biggest problem was that Stein did not differentiate between the intelligent design (theistic evolution) advocates and the young earth creationists (YEC). The YEC crowd gives science and normal religion a bad name, while the ID group has legitimate arguments. Big mistake to combine such disparate groups.

Stein spent far too much time attempting to compare the evils of Darwinism with Nazis, Eugenicists and the Soviet model. He added nothing new to a tired argument. Points were scored in an interview with Richard Dawkins discussing anti-theistic evolution. Dawkins had no cogent response to the question of how to explain the origins of life.

I learned theistic based evolution at BYU and still find it to be the best explanation of our common origins. My biology prof took great pains to help us understand the real age of the earth (4.5 billion years), evidence of evolution and the common ground shared by theistic and scientific viewpoints. Made for some interesting conversations with my YEC parents.

Don't waste time at Expelled, just rent Inherit the Wind.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote