cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default A female bishop...

I have often pondered how it's going to work when women get the priesthood.

For example, how would a bishopric operate? What about a man calling another man's wife to be first counselor? That seems problematic.

I think the Relief Society presidency will someday be elevated to the stand, and they will be the female priesthood leaders of the ward. I think women will confess to women, and men will confess to men. Would discipline situations be enforced more arbitrarily because of this? I think it's hardly possible to be more arbitrary than things already are.

I still can't figure out how a bishop or bishop-ette would handle couples counseling. Could a couple choose a favorite priesthood leader (male or female) for counseling? Maybe they would just refer couples to professional counseling more often.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I have often pondered how it's going to work when women get the priesthood.

For example, how would a bishopric operate? What about a man calling another man's wife to be first counselor? That seems problematic.

I think the Relief Society presidency will someday be elevated to the stand, and they will be the female priesthood leaders of the ward. I think women will confess to women, and men will confess to men. Would discipline situations be enforced more arbitrarily because of this? I think it's hardly possible to be more arbitrary than things already are.

I still can't figure out how a bishop or bishop-ette would handle couples counseling. Could a couple choose a favorite priesthood leader (male or female) for counseling? Maybe they would just refer couples to professional counseling more often.

I wouldn't stay up too late worrying about it.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Eventually the church will involve women in the future, direction, and leadership of the church.

The older I get, the more stunning it is how little input women have in the direction of the church on both local and international levels.

If I were a Bishop, I would do all I could do, without breaking rules, or breaking the rules as much as I can get away with, to involve women. (hopefully stating this has just disqualified me from ever being Bishop in both the eyes of the Lord and my fellow saints, but as Creekster might say, I probably shouldn't stay up too late worrying about being a Bishop).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I wouldn't stay up too late worrying about it.
I was talking about this with a Mormon friend of mine, and he responded by saying something to the effect of: "Don't tell me women don't have the priesthood already!!! They perform ordinances in the temple!"
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Eventually the church will involve women in the future, direction, and leadership of the church.

The older I get, the more stunning it is how little input women have in the direction of the church on both local and international levels.

If I were a Bishop, I would do all I could do, without breaking rules, or breaking the rules as much as I can get away with, to involve women. (hopefully stating this has just disqualified me from ever being Bishop in both the eyes of the Lord and my fellow saints, but as Creekster might say, I probably shouldn't stay up too late worrying about being a Bishop).

Maybe this will just make it all the more likely you will become Bishop. Either way, i wouldn't stay up too late worrying about it. Of course, at my age, it's only worry that can make me stay up late, so what do I know?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

How much are you willing to bet that women will someday hold the priesthood? You seem pretty certain it will happen.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

One more reason your wife won't have sex with you: you refused the calling she extended to you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
How much are you willing to bet that women will someday hold the priesthood? You seem pretty certain it will happen.
For Sooner, his post was a combination of a troll and wishful thinking.

An interesting phenomenon.

Also, if you don't think women have input on the direction of the church, you're mistaken. You think bishops and stake presidents work in a vacuum, entirely independent from their wives?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Also, if you don't think women have input on the direction of the church, you're mistaken. You think bishops and stake presidents work in a vacuum, entirely independent from their wives?
Of course! We don't have things like ward council, welfare committees, regular interaction and feedback on both a formal and informal basis and so forth.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
For Sooner, his post was a combination of a troll and wishful thinking.

An interesting phenomenon.

LOL. Who is present in church courts? Men.

How many women are on the high council and meet with the stake presidency? None.

How many meet in Bishopric meeting? None.

In fact, a Bishop who discusses with his wife that which has been told to him in confidence has committed a grave error. In fact, I have been directly counseled about this.

A woman can't even be in a Sunday school presidency. So how many women are present when the SS presidency meets (if they ever do meet)? None.

It's laughable that you think the leadership in the church involves women in any real and substantial extent. But you're young and probably have never had a calling of some responsibility that puts you in the inner circle.

You will see eventually. Women run the primary, the YW, and RS. That's it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote