cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally some comments from the FLDS

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/10/...wns/index.html

Quote:
In Hilldale and Colorado City, people are reluctant to speak with outsiders, much less go on the record. Their responses ranged from indignation to resigned vows to leave matters up to the Lord.

"It's very unjustified. It's -- it's religious persecution," said a woman who would not give her name.

A man named who identified himself only as Nephi said he will remain prayerful and dedicated to his church.

"I think I am going to be at peace about it. It's in the Lord's hands. And we will leave it at that," he said.

Marlene Hammon, a plural wife, was a small child when the Short Creek raid took place. She remembers being very frightened by the threat of being separated from her five mothers and 38 siblings.

Fawnetta Carroll was 7 when she was separated from her family in the 1953 raid. She returned to polygamy and believes one of her 24 sisters was in the Texas compound with her children.

"If there is abuse, that should be investigated and taken care of," she said. "But I do not see how you can use that to justify taking 416 children out of their homes and away from their families."

Priscilla Hammon was born just after the raid and also lives in a polygamous marriage. She says she has many children and grandchildren, and that the threat of being separated by outsiders is always there.
advertisement

The children are scared, she says.

"How can I possibly promise my children nothing will happen to them, when I see something like this taking place?"
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

With how it all went down, would it be way off to assume that the authorities there don't think of the FLDS folks as people?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote